Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have 1st hand experience which is quieter under full load?

I'm debating keeping my Amazon order for $175 for the Asus Top, which may or may not ship in the next month or 2, or buying the Newegg MSI Cyclone that's on sale today for $192 and comes with Just Cause 2?

I've been going nuts reading every review and post I can find.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Asus FTW !

I own 3 DirectCU card. 2 GTX460 and a GTS450 ... i love them

·
Registered
167 Posts
the cyclone is supper silent and runs very cool, especialy if you have a side fan blowing on it as well

• Rep+
Reactions: eaglepowers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone, sounds like the Cyclone is quieter under load?

I know the Asus cooler has better cooling potential but I'd rather have a quiter system then 1 that oc's a little more.

·
Registered
167 Posts
the cyclone overclocks great, with msi afterburner you can tweak voltages supper easy, ive had mine over 900 on the core and running around 60*C, with the fan at 70% and i cant hear it over my case fan or cpu fan.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
The cyclone is an amazing overclocker. MSI has really good customer service, too. Plus the fact that the cyclone is cheaper than the DirectCU right now.

Cyclone would be my choice.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
the cyclone is amazing, totally inaudible w/ fan under 60%

overclocks like a beast

• Rep+
Reactions: eaglepowers

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalBeerSolid
View Post

Yeah, I hate when people say "quit-er"

Love your avatar. Maiden rules.

To the OP... Cyclone is $210 AR on newegg right now. Go for it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oops, sorry for the mispelling guys, I kept on thinking there was something funny looking about the word but???

Well now the only problem is the Cyclone is going to be $21 more for me but it'll come with Just Cause 2 and ship immediately vs 1-2 months.

Anyone think I should still hold out for the Asus? Anyone know if the Asus is that much noisier than the Cyclone?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven View Post
the cyclone is amazing, totally inaudible w/ fan under 60%

overclocks like a beast
I bought a MSI Cyclone 1GB when they first appeared in July. You're right - below 60% its pretty quiet. Problem is above that it gets quite audible and with the fan on auto it did hit 60-63% a lot in my case while gaming. I have a 140mm top fan on my case's lid with an "upside-down" motherboard arrangement. Basically the video card is near that fan opening and any excessive GPU fan noise comes right out. I sent mine back for that reason (noise), but my config is probably pretty unusual.

Basically, if you want the quietest GTX 460 1GB get a reference design like PNY or EVGA.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ive got the asus one, and if you let it set the fan speed itself it doesnt go above 50% fan speed and temps even when highly OCd dont go above 70c. at those fan speeds its completely inaudible, nothing more than a quiet humming comming from the PC, and with headphones on youll hear absolutely nothing. Ive set my fan speeds manually in Afterburner, and it goes to 70% fan speed max load. it gets a bit noisy, and youll will easily hear it when everything else is quiet, but again, if youre wearing headphones and there is any sort of sound coming from them, you wont hear the card. Dunno about the MSI, but if you only do a minor OC of the Asus card, like 800 core, and use standard fan settings, it doesnt get much quieter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have experience with both the Asus TOP and the MSI Cyclone. The Cyclone is definitely quieter and makes more of a "air flow" sound, while the TOP makes more of the "fan spinning" sound. Both are GREAT video cards, but I didn't get good TOP ones (one had cooling problems, other had crappy OC capabilities) so I'm using the Cyclone right now. Asus TOP was audible at 50%, while MSI one becomes audible at about 75-80%. Currently testing out some overclocking potential on the Cyclone. Updates in a few days in my sig! Hope that helps.

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I finally placed my order for the 1gb Cyclone. If everything goes well it'll be $190 shipped AR. $15 more than the Asus Top 1gb version but it should show up this week and you guys seem to agree that it'll be quieter.

Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to see how much better Metro 2033 will look and hopefully it'll oc well?

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglepowers
View Post

Ok, so I finally placed my order for the 1gb Cyclone. If everything goes well it'll be $190 shipped AR. $15 more than the Asus Top 1gb version but it should show up this week and you guys seem to agree that it'll be quieter.

Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to see how much better Metro 2033 will look and hopefully it'll oc well?

Grats. I'm actually debating dropping my 470 for 2 of the Cyclones. Post some benches soon!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts