Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far i have had noiseblocker e-loops 1900rpm slowed to [email protected] 5v in push, seem noisey at 5v.

Got the vardars 120 er, big let down all 8 had coil whine that went silent, when switched to power controlled. Then when mounted to the rad made the bearing sound awful.

After reading lots of reviews thinking of trying phanteks 120 mp, but not sure about mounting horizontal?
Also they are cheap in the uk 3 for £20 atm.

Or trying the darkside gt 1850, but these are £22 a pop
rolleyes.gif

Overall looking for a more or less silent pc while browsing then ramp fans up to 750rpm while gaming.
Running 2 rx480 rads, 5930k and titan x.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Eloops never really had a great noise profile to be honest. It doesn't seem like cost is a factor to you on fans (NBs are awesome)
Give the Black Silent Pros a shot, I have them on my rad and they are dead silent. Prefer them over Gentle Typhoons as well for this reason.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts
I'm currently using three F120MP in horizontal mount and have had no issues with bearing noise. They are very quiet below 1000 rpm, no noise issues at all at low speeds. For that price, they are definitely worth it. I much prefer the sound profile to the Noctuas I replaced.

The be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 are stellar as far as noise. I have used them when running excessive rad sizes since their performance is a little lacking, but I have yet to find anything as silent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

So far i think, Noiseblocker Multiframe S-Series M12-S1, Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PL1 Fan and Phanteks PH-F120MP are in the running.

Just finding it flustrating reading reviews on fans as some reviewers say the total opposite to each other, eg one reviewer say Phanteks PH-F120MP is total garbage and other says its best for low noise and high sp at low rpm.

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Doyll, yeh had read Thermalbench tests and others the others said the opposite of Thermalbench with regards to the PH-F120MP.

After a bad time with the vardar 120er i am finding tests hard to believe, or i was really unlucky with the 8 i purchased they all had coil whine that i could hear out of the room the pc was in lol.

Just ordered 17 of the PH-F120MP to go push pull on the 480's, the price won out in the end over the others sounded like good fans too.

Bought 4x Akasa FLEXA FP5S 5 Fan PWM Controller splitters, just hope they work with the Aquaero 6 and the PH-F120MP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other reviewer said this about the fans.

Phanteks PH-F120MP

Given our great experience with previous Phanteks fans, the PH-F120MP is an utter disappointment. It performed poorly on both our cooling and airflow tests and it has an absolutely atrocious sound. As it's marketed as a radiator fan, it may perform better on a watercooling setup but I remain skeptical considering our previous tests with AIO coolers. Our reference fans, which have traditional designs usually perform similarly to the stock fans provided despite lacking the high static pressure widely believed to be optimal for pushing air through tightly packed spaces. Even if it was a good choice for such a function, it would be an expensive uni-tasker lacking flexibility.

The PH-F120MP is only saved from the indignity of last place by the absolutely abysmal SteamPunk Pro. 1stPlayer's design team has given us the worst performing fan we've tested by an inconceivable margin. At best, it lags behind the Phanteks fan by 9°C. At the 12~13 dBA level, it suffers a ridiculous 20°C deficit compared to the best fans on the chart, something I previously believed was impossible

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth1969 View Post

The other reviewer said this about the fans.

Phanteks PH-F120MP

Given our great experience with previous Phanteks fans, the PH-F120MP is an utter disappointment. It performed poorly on both our cooling and airflow tests and it has an absolutely atrocious sound. As it's marketed as a radiator fan, it may perform better on a watercooling setup but I remain skeptical considering our previous tests with AIO coolers. Our reference fans, which have traditional designs usually perform similarly to the stock fans provided despite lacking the high static pressure widely believed to be optimal for pushing air through tightly packed spaces. Even if it was a good choice for such a function, it would be an expensive uni-tasker lacking flexibility.

The PH-F120MP is only saved from the indignity of last place by the absolutely abysmal SteamPunk Pro. 1stPlayer's design team has given us the worst performing fan we've tested by an inconceivable margin. At best, it lags behind the Phanteks fan by 9°C. At the 12~13 dBA level, it suffers a ridiculous 20°C deficit compared to the best fans on the chart, something I previously believed was impossible
As much as I respect SPCR, their review of the F120MP contradicts every other review that has been done it. When numerous reviews all say the same thing, and there is a singular review saying another, it is a good bet that the singular review is an anomaly. Also, SPCR's testing is not always particularly similar to real world usage.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm using the 140mm version of the Enermax T.B. Silence 120mm Ultra Quiet at about 80% power in push/pull. My pc is inaudible and has enough cooling for my 5630k and 2x 970s in SLI using 2x 280x30mm rads while gaming. Even though they have low static pressure, I am very happy with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

As much as I respect SPCR, their review of the F120MP contradicts every other review that has been done it. When numerous reviews all say the same thing, and there is a singular review saying another, it is a good bet that the singular review is an anomaly. Also, SPCR's testing is not always particularly similar to real world usage.
Thanks for that, makes me feel better now got 17 F120MP's coming tomorrow for push pull on both rads.
From what i have read about push pull, i will be able to have fans slower for same cooling and less noise, turned in to a silent freak since starting watercooling.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth1969 View Post

Thanks for that, makes me feel better now got 17 F120MP's coming tomorrow for push pull on both rads.
From what i have read about push pull, i will be able to have fans slower for same cooling and less noise, turned in to a silent freak since starting watercooling.
Ive got about a dozen fans a bit mixed and matched. If i used em at 900rpm youd hear nothing. Most of em are Noctuas, 2 are the thermaltake that came with the case, 2 enermax and 1 antec off my old case.Even at the 1100-1200 rpms i have right now its at about 41-43db, my dead silent room is about 21-22. So 20db for having a dozen fans id take that as a win and quiet haha.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
If you can find them, 800 rpm GT's are the best, IMO. I have Noctua's, and I've reviewed a bunch of others. GTs are the best. Aslo, if you can find them, Scythe Slip Streams at 800 rpm are very good.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

If you can find them, 800 rpm GT's are the best, IMO. I have Noctua's, and I've reviewed a bunch of others. GTs are the best. Aslo, if you can find them, Scythe Slip Streams at 800 rpm are very good.
Just to clarify; you'd recommend the 800rpm GTs over the Noctua A14's with the ULNA? What RPM do the Noctuas run at with the ULNA?

And, is that recommendation because of noise or the volume of air moved?

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikjadoon View Post

Just to clarify; you'd recommend the 800rpm GTs over the Noctua A14's with the ULNA? What RPM do the Noctuas run at with the ULNA?

The a14 run at 900 rpm with .89mm of pressure. I have 3 that i run at 1100 rpm and theyre pretty quiet. At 900rpms you could prob hear a mouse fart over the fans haha.

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
With little doubt the best 120mm fans are Gentle Typhoon, and the 1850 PWM one has fantastic 550-1850rpm. But they are hard to find and not cheap. I have not used the PH-F120MP in push / pull, but I have heard no complaints about them from. While the Vardar appear to have potential, many like yourself have had problems; vibration, harmonic flutter, bears, etc. Hopefully they will get the problems worked out.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Now we're talking 140mm fans. GT's are the best 120mm fans. Nothing is better, including the wonderful Noctua fans. Probably the second best 120mm fans are either the Nexus Real Silent fans (a binned Yate Loon at 1000rpm) or the 800 rpm Slip streams.

But if 140mm fans fit, always use those. The best for case fan work are A14 ULN's. With LNA, they run 600rpm, which is too slow IMO. IN fact, I am using 2 NF-a14 ULN's in the front of my case, which puts them a foot from my ear when I type.

I make my case fan recommendations on the noise a fan makes + that the fan is still moving air -- the more the better. For heatsinks it's a different matter.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

The a14 run at 900 rpm with .89mm of pressure. I have 3 that i run at 1100 rpm and theyre pretty quiet. At 900rpms you could prob hear a mouse fart over the fans haha.
Hahaha, right. Well, I have 3x120mm + 4x140mm fans in my case now; everything but the CPU runs at 650RPM. But the noise is starting to really bother me, haha, especially when I'm just browsing. I hate the idea that, just for browsing, there is still a very noticeable whir.
Quote:

Now we're talking 140mm fans. GT's are the best 120mm fans. Nothing is better, including the wonderful Noctua fans. Probably the second best 120mm fans are either the Nexus Real Silent fans (a binned Yate Loon at 1000rpm) or the 800 rpm Slip streams.

But if 140mm fans fit, always use those. The best for case fan work are A14 ULN's. With LNA, they run 600rpm, which is too slow IMO. IN fact, I am using 2 NF-a14 ULN's in the front of my case, which puts them a foot from my ear when I type.

I make my case fan recommendations on the noise a fan makes + that the fan is still moving air -- the more the better. For heatsinks it's a different matter.
Hmmm, OK! Yes. I can run 140mms no problem; might take a bit of zip-tie work, but they'll fit fine.

Thank you for the response; I really appreciate it!
biggrin.gif

OK, the OP didn't mention this fan, but what about the Thermalright TY-147A? You don't get any cool Noctua accessories or the nice 6-year warranty, but according to these tests at ~600 to ~800 RPM, the TY-147A outperforms the Noctua AF-15 and just barely edges out the AF-14. Once you get to 1000 rpm, the TY-147A is unrivalled.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Hahaha, right. Well, I have 3x120mm + 4x140mm fans in my case now; everything but the CPU runs at 650RPM. But the noise is starting to really bother me, haha, especially when I'm just browsing. I hate the idea that, just for browsing, there is still a very noticeable whir.
Quote:

Hmmm, OK! Yes. I can run 140mms no problem; might take a bit of zip-tie work, but they'll fit fine.

Thank you for the response; I really appreciate it!
biggrin.gif

OK, the OP didn't mention this fan, but what about the Thermalright TY-147A? You don't get any cool Noctua accessories or the nice 6-year warranty, but according to these tests at ~600 to ~800 RPM, the TY-147A outperforms the Noctua AF-15 and just barely edges out the AF-14. Once you get to 1000 rpm, the TY-147A is unrivalled.

For the 147A, we must wait for TR to put them out with square frames.

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
TY-14x, NF-A15 & NF-A14 are all same basic design with near identical performance at same speed .

Maybe I should update that with black and white TY-147 / TY-147A instead of old TY-140.
tongue.gif

TY-147A is same fan as TY-147 with different rpm range. 300-1300 with different PWM to rpm curve TY-147 is same fan as TY-140 in different colors:thumb:

Post #27, #31, #36, #37 & #23 in "Ways to Better Cooling" (linked in my sig) all have info about Thermalright TY-14x fans and their uses.

Many reviews have compared them and they always come out near identical. Here's a link to a collection of some data.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1491876/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data/20_20#post_23229617

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
bequiet Silent Wings 2 do have the best bearing of all the fans i tried. So if low bearing noise at low rpm is an issue give them a trie.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts