Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may not be the best area.

i was bored and did a netstat to see about increaing my BW and I came across an Ip I didnot recognize.

Using the infamous Google IP trace the return path came to Level 3 Communication.

here is the SS of the IP

Why would my pc be talking to this company?

I called but they are closed today. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's clearly something running on your computer that's doing it, try running Wireshark to see where it's coming from.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post

What is the exact command that you used?
netstat

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dushan24 View Post

netstat
-a, -b, etc. etc. ??

OP.

Reboot your PC. Close all background software's including AV and firewalls and run netstat again.

You could have a software that is connected through L3's backbone. Its not a bad thing, L3 is a good company.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found out that a program I use is routed through a security protocol that is handled by L3, so i guess that where the comm is from.

As to what mode, I used -a to list all active connection. I called the company that provided us the tech library about it and sadly, even the Lvl3 tech didn't know about this protocol.

L3 won't provide third party (ie me) any security info regarding their clients....

my attempts to bypass the ip gives me the 404 gateway error. Apparently I must go through this company for my library. It fine and all that. Just annoys me that L3 is also obtain all my searches and manuals. if they are any good at collecting data, they will have a good db of what kind of things I am researching....

I know you all think I'm paranoid. i just rather not have a company profit off me and I don't get a cut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts