Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought it would be not only interesting, but helpful to prevent future unnecessary HW casualties through the experiences of others... Thankfully I haven't had my computer long enough to do any serious damage, (with the exception of a loose hard drive falling on my already crappy video card)
but I'm sure that will come with time
Post pics if you have them, and any voltages, or other OC data you think may have been the culprit in your HW's demise...

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
hmm.... well i have yet to destroy as CPU or motherboard.. but i did lose 2 GTX460 Hawks to some overclocking addiction.

the first one. Did 985Mhz with 1.187v and died during a vantage run. the second one i ran at 930Mhz at 1.15v for about a month and it called it quits. decided to sell the third and get a 570... to bad these things can't take more than 1.1v lol.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
killed my GD80 with dice.

RMA was approved though, so it should be ok.

EDIT: I also permenantly damaged this athlon. 1.8v on air= no good

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Never damaged or wrecked anything in the life of me using or toying with computers.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyro TR1;13146278
Don't plug fans in while the system is on and under full load, especially when using a generic PSU.
thumb.gif
done this before via molex>3 pin adapters--completely fine. Unsure about mobo headers tho.

havent really killed anything per se, but i may have degraded my old core 2 duo E7200 with some overzealous core voltage adjusting.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
killed an i7 930 in a DICE session, unfortunately due to my noobish insulation so there was a puddle inside the socket.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Fried my old MSI board trying to push my Phenom II past 4.2GHz... not like frying an MSI board is any sort of accomplishment

·
OG AMD
8,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;13146484
Never damaged or wrecked anything in the life of me using or toying with computers.
You haven't tried hard enough then
biggrin.gif

I've killed mostly crappy PSU's-and an Athlon 2500 by dropping a PSU on top of the heatsink I had glued permanantly to the chip.The resultuling blow tore the heatspreader off and a good chunk of silicon.The thing still booted though,but temps went sky high immediately!

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Interesting thread, can't wait to read some of the posts. I unfortunately have never pushed anything to the "extreme" so I can't say I've killed anything the cool way. In fact, I don't think anything that I've done to my computers has died yet.

I've had a Seagate hard drive die on me after a few years... That's as bad as it gets for me, haha.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
i completely forgot when i messed up putting my socket 478 pentium 4 northwood back in its socket, i was half asleep and it was super late..and i must have just put it back improperly and it bent quite a few pins..

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
I have destroyed 2 GPUs in the line of duty via overclocking. 4850 - Pencil mod, Musashi pushing for supid high overclocks on air. Hit 800 and thing died.

4770 - Hit 1100 core @ 1.3v Died 3 days later.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Actually now that I think about it, I almost killed my Phenom X3 720. It was the first chip I owned so I was really new to overclocking. I pumped like 1.5 core voltage into it and tried to hit 3.5 and it's now only stable @ 3.2. Not stock, it's weird.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodz;13146586
You haven't tried hard enough then
biggrin.gif
I'm more interested in being able to actually reliably use my computer(s) than blow them up, have to deal with RMAs and shipping costs and parts exchanges that cut my cash supply in half among other things
smile.gif

At worst I've broken a few headsets, perhaps a mouse out of rage.... that's it

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Damaged one of my boards(not my sig rig) while plugging in fans while the system is working...

I removed the molex of the fan, and plugged the wire to the PSU molex, and shorten it...

Also using a generic PSU that time..

·
Banned
705 Posts
At the time I knew very little about computer hardware and I plugged a 3 pin fan onto some other power connector on the mobo while it was turned on out of boredom, Bam! fire
biggrin.gif
after that everything still worked except the PSU and MoBo lmao.

Edit: At the time it was 3 years old, it was a lowly acer aspire, so it was no loss.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts