Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be pretty simple, I know there are five hundred million threads about this on the internet, but each case is unique.

I don't care about sound as long as it's not some annoying high pitched whine from an AIO liquid cooler (which is also an option for me even though I posted in air cooling), although I can only fit a single 120 or 140mm radiator in my stupid HAF X.

What I want is to go for maximum cooling for my price, regardless of all other factors except the obvious unchangeable ones like it needs to fit my case and not cover at least 2 of the RAM slots (I'm getting a Biostar X370 GT7). I definitely intend to overclock obviously or I'd just use the stock cooler. I'd say $100 and under is good but $70 or less is ideal if there's a way better price:performance ratio option.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Cryorig R1 Universal is my suggestion.

Not quite the absolute top air cooler, but very close, and easily the prettiest IMO. Known for quality products and good mounting systems too, and also RAM compatible by design. Though frankly the Cryorig H5 universal would give you most of the performance for cheaper, and they're a little shorter too, if that's a concern.

Other obvious examples are the Noctua line (NH-D15s for compatibility, DH15 for absolute performance, or the NH-U14s), and the Thermaltake Macho Rev.B, Scythe Mugan Max or FUMA models ... there's a lot of options.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
To add to what @willibj said, there is also the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Silverstone HE01, Thermalright True Spirit 140.

All mentioned will give you performance as good as a $100 CLC with less noise, more reliability and lower cost.

Also, the Macho Rev. B is a Thermalright, not Themaltake. Huge difference there....the last thing you want is a Thermaltake cooler.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last thing I want is thermaltake anything. My last case from them broke in a new way every time I opened it and it cost $200. To be fair the wheels on my HAF X are also breaking off randomly any time I try to move it so it hasn't given me a good impression either.

So if those are all of my main options, what would be a good way to narrow it down to one or two choices? I suppose maybe just whichever is cheapest. Of course I'm going to try to see if I can hit 4GHz on the stock cooler first, on the off chance it's some golden CPU. Binned or whatever the kids call it at this precise moment in time.

·
Da Boss
1,894 Posts
My go too big tower are coolers are Cryorig R1, Dark Rock Pro 3, and the NH-D15. R1 and Pro 3 out of the box for performance and aesthetics. NH-D15 for performance and then replace the fans with Chromax fans and maybe the Chromax heat sink covers in the future.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
My go too big tower are coolers are Cryorig R1, Dark Rock Pro 3, and the NH-D15. R1 and Pro 3 out of the box for performance and aesthetics. NH-D15 for performance and then replace the fans with Chromax fans and maybe the Chromax heat sink covers in the future.
I feel exactly the same, with the True Spirit 140 being my go to for bang for the buck.

·
R2D2C4Z9
139 Posts
Deepcool fiendshark is great. It's good enought for temps, it blows VRM and RAM, it's compact, it's cheap... also it have universal mount at stock, it's only a little bit tricky to intall.

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
This should be pretty simple, I know there are five hundred million threads about this on the internet, but each case is unique.

I don't care about sound as long as it's not some annoying high pitched whine from an AIO liquid cooler (which is also an option for me even though I posted in air cooling), although I can only fit a single 120 or 140mm radiator in my stupid HAF X.

What I want is to go for maximum cooling for my price, regardless of all other factors except the obvious unchangeable ones like it needs to fit my case and not cover at least 2 of the RAM slots (I'm getting a Biostar X370 GT7). I definitely intend to overclock obviously or I'd just use the stock cooler. I'd say $100 and under is good but $70 or less is ideal if there's a way better price:performance ratio option.
Best price with great performance is Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power for about $50. Change it's TY-147A fans for a TY-143 ($15) and add 1 or 2x Cooljag Everflow 140mm 2500rpm case fan/s ([email protected] from Puget Systems). Excelent cooling and quiet up to about 1200rpm and then extreme cooling and progressively louder up to their 2500rpm 130cfm limit. It cools 8-10c better at 2500rpm than at 1200rpm, but case fan/s to match are required to supply it's airflow hungry 130cfm capacity at 2500rpm.

Thermalriight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme cools maybe 1-2c better with it's 2x TY-143 fans, but it is about $85 plus case fans to match

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why not try out the stock cooler, I don't use it as i'm using liquid cooling, but have tried it, and it's very quiet, and many has said the stock is rather good, try it out first, if you don't like it, you can afterall waste money on a new cooler.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not try out the stock cooler, I don't use it as i'm using liquid cooling, but have tried it, and it's very quiet, and many has said the stock is rather good, try it out first, if you don't like it, you can afterall waste money on a new cooler.
I already said I was going to do that. If I can't get to 3900 or 4000 on the stock cooler, eventually I'm going to buy a new cooler.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
No need to overdo it, anything capable of 150W TDP dissipation is more than enough for the R5 1600 unless you are using AVX2.

For AM4 socket there's a few that are supposed to work out of the box that you want to look at :

Budget , with less room for lowering fan speeds (~$30) typically 4 heatpipes of 6mm diameter and 120mm fan
Arctic Freezer 33
Be Quiet Pure Rock
Coolermaster Hyper 212X ... may require bracket
Deepcool Gammaxx 400
EKL Alpenfohn Ben Nevis (if in Europe)
Enermax ETS-T40
Scythe Kotetsu
Thermalright True Spirit 120 Direct (if in Europe)

Midrange, with ability to lower fan speeds and still maintain reasonable temps (~$50) , typically 6 heatpipes of 6mm diameter with 140mm fan with slim tower
Thermalright Macho Rev B (thick tower)
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power (only if your case fits 171mm height)
Noctua NH-U14S if on sale (it needs the AM4 kit)
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B (actually 120mm fan , thick tower)

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
Im very surprised that nobody mentioned that the STOCK cooler can get the ryzen chips (minus 8 cores) up to around 4ghz if you max the fan out.

That said, a 20-30 dollar coolermaster hyper 212 is EASILY found anywhere online, sometimes found in local stores, and can easily and quietly kep your chip cool during gaming.

Just somehow be sure you get the newest update of the cooler, it has a quieter fan than when it first launched.

My old 212 keeps a 4ghz OC'd 1075T amd phenom II at a max of 50*C under full synthetic load with higher voltage that it needs to keep it stable with the crappy PSU it is powered by.

Another thing to note, pretty much ANY tower cooler will keep a ryzen chip nice and cool.

Buy one that you like the appearance of. Unless it only has 1 or 2 copper heat pipes, it will work for ya

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
Im very surprised that nobody mentioned that the STOCK cooler can get the ryzen chips (minus 8 cores) up to around 4ghz if you max the fan out.

That said, a 20-30 dollar coolermaster hyper 212 is EASILY found anywhere online, sometimes found in local stores, and can easily and quietly kep your chip cool during gaming.

Just somehow be sure you get the newest update of the cooler, it has a quieter fan than when it first launched.

My old 212 keeps a 4ghz OC'd 1075T amd phenom II at a max of 50*C under full synthetic load with higher voltage that it needs to keep it stable with the crappy PSU it is powered by.

Another thing to note, pretty much ANY tower cooler will keep a ryzen chip nice and cool.

Buy one that you like the appearance of. Unless it only has 1 or 2 copper heat pipes, it will work for ya
Look at prices of coolers AlphaC posted before even thinking about buying a 212.

Key word is 'old' 212. There are at least half a dozen cooler as good or better for similar or less money. Cryorig H7 is better than 212 and can often be found for same or less money.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
Look at prices of coolers AlphaC posted before even thinking about buying a 212.

Key word is 'old' 212. There are at least half a dozen cooler as good or better for similar or less money. Cryorig H7 is better than 212 and can often be found for same or less money.
I must admit, I rarely look into the smaller coolers, as once I found the 212 for a stable 25-30 bucks shipped, i kinda stuck with it for small overclock mentions.

the 212 even kept my 8 core amd fx chip happy under 4.5ghz

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,834 Posts
+1 for the Cryorig R1 if you're willing to spend a pretty penny.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So I can get an AM4 bracket for my hyper 212 evo for $9 shipped to my door.

I'm just barely fine at 3.6GHz @ 1.25v, it starts to hit mid 80s after several minutes of testing and stabilizes there. The thermal grizzly kryonaut is POSSIBLY not applied right, it was sticking to the spreading spatula thing they supply with it, and hardly at all to the heatsink/CPU so I had to mash it into a mess.

I don't really have any interest in a crazy overclock, since I plan to run it 24/7 and potentially keep the CPU for several years. I think I had my 3570k since release... so a looooooong time. And it was hardly futureproof at the time, while the ryzen is. I'd be ecstatic with 4GHz, and plenty happy with 3.8/3.9 24/7.

Should I even waste the money on a higher end cooler or will my 212 evo with 2 fans probably be good enough? It kept my 3570k at under 70c all the time even at 4.2+ GHz in a warm room.

edit: I guess what I'm asking/the TL;DR is. I can get a bracket for my H212 Evo for $9 shipped. Will I see necessary cooling performance if I spend $50+ on a different cooler if I only plan to OC to 4GHz at the absolute max and more likely only 3.8 or 3.9? Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to go out of my way to save money, if it'll run 10c cooler with a better cooler I'll go for it.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah that's what I was talking about...

I figured I'll leave my H212 on my 1155 motherboard as a gift to whoever ends up buying the MB/CPU/RAM from me. I bought the Cryorig H5 with the AM4 bracket for $47 shipped on newegg just now, it's a one time purchase for this system until I upgrade again so I figured why not get several degrees cooler for not too much more money. Even if it's overkill for 4GHz I'd rather run at 65c max than 75c or whatever. I'm pretty sure the stupid consistency of the kryonaut is causing higher-than-necessary temps on the spire cooler but it was never going to be amazing. It was just "good" for a stock cooler.

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
So I can get an AM4 bracket for my hyper 212 evo for $9 shipped to my door.

I'm just barely fine at 3.6GHz @ 1.25v, it starts to hit mid 80s after several minutes of testing and stabilizes there. The thermal grizzly kryonaut is POSSIBLY not applied right, it was sticking to the spreading spatula thing they supply with it, and hardly at all to the heatsink/CPU so I had to mash it into a mess.

I don't really have any interest in a crazy overclock, since I plan to run it 24/7 and potentially keep the CPU for several years. I think I had my 3570k since release... so a looooooong time. And it was hardly futureproof at the time, while the ryzen is. I'd be ecstatic with 4GHz, and plenty happy with 3.8/3.9 24/7.

Should I even waste the money on a higher end cooler or will my 212 evo with 2 fans probably be good enough? It kept my 3570k at under 70c all the time even at 4.2+ GHz in a warm room.

edit: I guess what I'm asking/the TL;DR is. I can get a bracket for my H212 Evo for $9 shipped. Will I see necessary cooling performance if I spend $50+ on a different cooler if I only plan to OC to 4GHz at the absolute max and more likely only 3.8 or 3.9? Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to go out of my way to save money, if it'll run 10c cooler with a better cooler I'll go for it.
CPU taking several minutes to reach maximum temperature is often and indication that case airflow is not keeping up with cooler demand for cool air an air going into cooler intake airflow is being contaminated by cooler's heated exhaust air. For example, my systems at 100% load reach temperature in 2-3 minutes .. and drop back to minimum idle temp 2-3 minutes too.

Yeah that's what I was talking about...

I figured I'll leave my H212 on my 1155 motherboard as a gift to whoever ends up buying the MB/CPU/RAM from me. I bought the Cryorig H5 with the AM4 bracket for $47 shipped on newegg just now, it's a one time purchase for this system until I upgrade again so I figured why not get several degrees cooler for not too much more money. Even if it's overkill for 4GHz I'd rather run at 65c max than 75c or whatever. I'm pretty sure the stupid consistency of the kryonaut is causing higher-than-necessary temps on the spire cooler but it was never going to be amazing. It was just "good" for a stock cooler.
I think of coolers as a long term investment that can be used in future builds, so I'm willing to spend a little more to have surplus cooler. Running a bigger higher capacity cooler also means it usually runs quieter because it does not need to work as hard to keep CPU cool.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts