Overclock.net banner

241 - 260 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well nvme drive booted fine @ 106.725 MHz

Didn't stay in the OS long, ran a quick CrystalDisk benchmark scores were on par with what I expected.

Im still playing with BCLK and finding the max, 106.925 mhz posts, 107.000 mhz, no post (51 error).

Currently testing 106.850 mhz on the SSD, everything looks to be working normally so far.

Im not wanting to push vSoc higher than 1.1v, ive actually dialled it back down to settings I know are stable (1.072v) at 3800/1900 mhz with regular BCLK of 100.00 mhz

You seem unsure, I would have thought that high frequency would cause stability rather than kill the components ….

That sound good, will be testing soon

:)

Oh and I could not just input say 104.000 and expect to boot!

I had to go 101 save reboot, 102 save reboot etc etc

Not super sure that's what killed it but it never worked again in that system or the new motherboard I got. It was a a320 board and bclk overclocking was all I could do to overclock my 2600.

·
Registered
6 Posts
first install lastest bios, chipset drivers, ryzen master ( power plans) , set fixed multi in bios, for vcore my mobo only has auto or offset mode ( +/-) so i set a +0.05 this gives me aprox 1.1v (os) test stability / performance with cb, games, nsi aferterburner, ( yes also passed prime 95, but its excessive stress) it should go low power at idle by iself using balanced or low power plan EVEN WITH THE 4.2 OC (PIC I PROVIDED IS WITH FIXED CLOCK!) if it dos not? something about your mobo, i have al CBS features on AUTO
I nerver find the solution ... My Peak Core voltage never go down, only my average core voltage do it ... :drool::mad:

·
Registered
932 Posts
So it looks like im going to moving away from the manual all core overclock as ive managed to get a great balance using features of my motherboard that never worked as well with my previous 3600X.

The 3600 is currently boosting over 4600 mhz, TM5 runs at a touch over 4500 mhz, this is using EDC @3, BCLK @106.850, CPU vCore Offset @ +0.05v and CPU LLC @Mode5.

Heavy AVX2 workloads are dropping to 4250mhz @1.25v, CB20 is running close to 4400 mhz @ 1.325 (scores slightly down from manual 4.4ghz overclock).

Its been stable all day on the nvme drive, no signs of any corruption or any issues whatsoever.

Ive ran numerous stress tests, benchmarks and they are all acting as expected, no audio anomolies, games are workng great, heat output is down, power draw is down, im very very happy with the results.

Ofcourse, if I was participating in benchmarks manual all core is they way to go, but for everyday use rig, this setup is awsome.

CPU-Z benchmark is hitting 4450/555

:)

Currently running y-cruncher, its been running for over 3 hours.

Tomorrow will post some benchmark scores ....

• Rep+
Reactions: damric

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just scored one of these CPUs, Im not in to huge tweaking, but noticed it would run 4.5ghz all core @ 1.3v
What is the easiest and safest settings for OC these CPUs. Lots of peeps saying now that 1.3v all core is not safe, what is the truth?

·
AMD fan
1,839 Posts
1.3 is ok, especially for 4.5ghz. My chip needs more than that to maintain 4.175.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,555 Posts
On stock during cb r20, 1.3v is what it gets to run at 4ghz on all auto in my case :eek:

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,817 Posts
Just scored one of these CPUs, Im not in to huge tweaking, but noticed it would run 4.5ghz all core @ 1.3v
What is the easiest and safest settings for OC these CPUs. Lots of peeps saying now that 1.3v all core is not safe, what is the truth?
It's more ok on the 3600 than on a high-end chip. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks all for the replies, I will see what I can do with this CPU! Would probably prefer to undervolt and see what she can do. 4.2ghz all core at 1.2v has been solid. Any way to OC and still have variable vcore so it down volts with no load on the cpu?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Don't worry downclocking during idle barely saves any power and manual OC uses less power than stock, you can probably do better than 4.2ghz I can do 4.4ghz with 1.2v.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Are those improvements exclusive to the newer 3600er Chips or has anyone also seen this happen with newer 3700X CPUs?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Are those improvements exclusive to the newer 3600er Chips or has anyone also seen this happen with newer 3700X CPUs?
Few 3700x that I know of also show improvement over my first bunch processor. About 50-100MHz PBO and OC, specially OC.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Broke down and bought a 3600 from Newegg 3days ago. Dont have a real overclocking board so i'm not expecting much.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I settled for 4.3Ghz all-cores prime95 overnight stable on small and blend @ 1.3v LLC on "High" on my asus board. 4.4Ghz all-cores 1.33v is about 3-4 hours stable but crashes or fails after that because I can't keep temps under control while running prime95. (95-96c.. and then failing).

Running non-prime tests such as Battlefield V/Realbench/AIDA64/CB15-CB20 all day 4.5-4.6Ghz 1.35v no problem but not prime stable either so I'll stick with 4.3Ghz and will try lowering the voltage from 1.3v to where it's stable on prime overnight.

It seems like my cooling isn't the issue since it is on a custom loop with a 240mm + 120mm rad, I guess due to the 7nm design it's going to run much hotter than my 8700K @ 1.32-3v also on a similar setup and that one only max out on prime95 around 85-86c.

Also it's funny because my 8700K (earlier batches) did the exact same thing when I was trying for 5Ghz before i delidded it. It would fail after 2-3 hours when temps hit 95c+ but after de-lidding and shaving off 10c I was easily 5Ghz stable.

·
Registered
932 Posts
So I settled for 4.3Ghz all-cores prime95 overnight stable on small and blend @ 1.3v LLC on "High" on my asus board. 4.4Ghz all-cores 1.33v is about 3-4 hours stable but crashes or fails after that because I can't keep temps under control while running prime95. (95-96c.. and then failing).

Running non-prime tests such as Battlefield V/Realbench/AIDA64/CB15-CB20 all day 4.5-4.6Ghz 1.35v no problem but not prime stable either so I'll stick with 4.3Ghz and will try lowering the voltage from 1.3v to where it's stable on prime overnight.

It seems like my cooling isn't the issue since it is on a custom loop with a 240mm + 120mm rad, I guess due to the 7nm design it's going to run much hotter than my 8700K @ 1.32-3v also on a similar setup and that one only max out on prime95 around 85-86c.

Also it's funny because my 8700K (earlier batches) did the exact same thing when I was trying for 5Ghz before i delidded it. It would fail after 2-3 hours when temps hit 95c+ but after de-lidding and shaving off 10c I was easily 5Ghz stable.
In my opinion our issues (custom WC) is the fin density on most of the waterblocks do not have enough total surface area to dissipate the heat fast enough from the 7nm hot areas.

If the fins were higher I am confident the hot spots temperatures would be less.

Also,as we can see, the 7nm process looks to be on an optimum voltage/heat output at around 1.2v once we pass 1.2v the temps start spiraling ...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I was able to get 4.3Ghz All core with my [email protected] on my crap GA-AB350M-Gaming-3 motherboard. 4.4 took 1.36v but was not 6+ hours stable like 4.3 so instead of pushing it i just dropped it down. Pretty sure with a better Mobo i could do better but its not worth the money for a few 100 Mhz.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was able to get 4.3Ghz All core with my [email protected] on my crap GA-AB350M-Gaming-3 motherboard. 4.4 took 1.36v but was not 6+ hours stable like 4.3 so instead of pushing it i just dropped it down. Pretty sure with a better Mobo i could do better but its not worth the money for a few 100 Mhz.
Was that on prime? Your chip seems to be almost identical to mine when testing Prime95 blend for hours. 4.3 stable but 4.4 at 1.33v fails after a few hours. (I tried again last night and it failed after the 6 hour mark this morning too)\

Edit: Seems like my setup is very sensitive to SOC voltage.. I had it at 1.125 in bios which was stable for the few hours mentioned above but failed. I tried higher 1.135v but that fails in 5 minutes. I will try lower and hopefully it's stable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can run my 3600 4.5 1.26v or 4.6 1.32v. 4.6 1.32 struggles with ram and if oc, 3600/1800 15-15-15-15-32 is stable but on 4.5 I can do 3800/1900 16.

here are some balls to the wall scores

https://valid.x86.fr/rr6ub9

241 - 260 of 294 Posts