Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i still play older games,but i want to be able play some newer games coming. BF1 and doom are games i plan on picking up. is there going to be any real issues i need to look out for. my sig rig is listed below,and i only game at 1080p. will my 290 still hold its own?
 

·
What should be here ?
Joined
·
5,744 Posts
I'd say even with high setting, you should be able to get by considering the GPU was built with under utilized potential that comes later in AMDs GPU's with DX12, Vulkan etc. You should be set for now and I'd only consider upgrade if a product offers ~ double the performance of the product at its current market price.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: toyz72

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
It will be enough for most games at high/ultra settings, 390 is essentially the same card with higher clocks and it competes very nicely with GTX 970. AMD seems to have good DX12 performance as well, thanks to Async compute. Have you tried to overclock, 1100Mhz+ core should be possible unless you're using the reference cooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
1080p should be perfect still got a few more years left in it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
Lol, I have one and I dont see it having to struggle at 1080p anytime soon. But my standards are low compared to most people in here so yea.
And I dont get it about lowered quality settings, one game doesnt make the rule. If one game forces you to lower the graphic quality, theres 20 others that get maxed out. And that one that forces you to lower the resolution is either not played by the majority or just very neglible difference in graphics quality.

Biggest flaw it had was the stock cooler, power consumption, heat it produced. Not the performance...
Only now are coming graphics card that make owners of a 290 think twice if they should or shouldn't upgrade. And thats why you are asking this question right now, and the answer is no. Wait another generation.
Let DX12 mature more with another iteration of GPU's.

The answer to your question is: Yes it is a hell of a good card. I'm specifically very satisfied because I bought mine when it was a month old from a miner for 210£ and can sell it right now for arround the same value two years later.
wink.gif

I guess that tells alot for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i stay pretty busy with work and family life,so i havent had much time to push the system harder. if i get a free weekend i might have to bump some things up. its good to know my 290 will hold out a little longer. i was temped to pick up a 390,but numbers didnt really justify the upgrade. i guess right now is a good time just to hold out and see whats next?
 

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
IF you can OC around 1060MHz or so core clock and OC the memory aswell, then you could be around GTX 980 performance(faster at DX12)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,321 Posts
I had recently jumped onto the 290x since its price/performance was stellar in the used market.

If you play one game a time then you should be fine for anything that comes through with reasonable settings. 4GB vram will only be an issue if your looking to add UltraHD textures to existing games like Rainbow Six: Siege and a few others
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz72 View Post

i still play older games,but i want to be able play some newer games coming. BF1 and doom are games i plan on picking up. is there going to be any real issues i need to look out for. my sig rig is listed below,and i only game at 1080p. will my 290 still hold its own?
OC the core 100 MHz and it Equals a 390. 200MHz, you have a 390X with 4GB vram.

OC a bit the cpu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

OC the core 100 MHz and it Equals a 390. 200MHz, you have a 390X with 4GB vram.

OC a bit the cpu.
guess i need to stop by the 290/290x thread and pick up on some oc'ing. last time i overclocked a cpu,it was an amd 965,haha. i guess i need to brush up on a couple things. i hope to get a free weekend soon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,154 Posts
If you have good cooling in your cpu, i would start there. Do not oc both at same time. It will be hard to figure out issues like instability.

O'cing the CPU will allow for higher minimums in fps. Aim for 4.5 GHz.

O'cing the GPU, you need to find out first how your temps are at stock when at load. I use GPUZ's render test and Sensor tab to check the temps of the core and vrms (VRM1 is critical). So, you need to open two instances of GPUZ.



Use the "?" to start the render test. Use the dropdown arrow to set the temp rdgs to MAX and the slider to show the VRM temps.

Now, if your stock temps at load are reaching the 70s, then you may not have enuf headroom to oc high.
 

·
Top kek
Joined
·
3,578 Posts
OP, just set a OC profile via the Crimson settings for X game, set it to +50% power limit, 1100/1150 Core (+15%), set memory to 1500Mhz. Use Sapphire TriXX and set the voltage to +100mV, Apply, exit Trixx, launch game and enjoy. With +125mV i can get 1200/1580Mhz on my Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X. Bought the GPU for ~170$ used, its a beast for this price. No reason to upgrade anytime soon, as you are playing on 1080p (just as me), and you can get [email protected] ultra or very high in almost all games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i seems im going to have to start with my cpu first. my noctua u9s isnt the best,but should allow me to get a little higher oc. right now im working on my fan set up in my node 304,and it looks to be promising.

i do have most software listed in previous posts for gpu testing. it makes sense to get stock temps under load,and start from there. i guess next on my list will be looking up oc'ing guide's for my cpu,and z97. thx for all the good info to get me started.
 

·
Top kek
Joined
·
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz72 View Post

well i seems im going to have to start with my cpu first. my noctua u9s isnt the best,but should allow me to get a little higher oc. right now im working on my fan set up in my node 304,and it looks to be promising.

i do have most software listed in previous posts for gpu testing. it makes sense to get stock temps under load,and start from there. i guess next on my list will be looking up oc'ing guide's for my cpu,and z97. thx for all the good info to get me started.
Even with +125mV and under 100% GPU load in Witcher 3, the temps are around 90-95*C. WIth fan being on Auto and running at ~65%.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz72 View Post

well i seems im going to have to start with my cpu first. my noctua u9s isnt the best,but should allow me to get a little higher oc. right now im working on my fan set up in my node 304,and it looks to be promising.

i do have most software listed in previous posts for gpu testing. it makes sense to get stock temps under load,and start from there. i guess next on my list will be looking up oc'ing guide's for my cpu,and z97. thx for all the good info to get me started.
Wait, you got a haswell, you can aim for a lower oc. i was basing mine on a sandy. 4.2 - 4.3 GHz oc will be more than enuf to get better minimum fps. try to keep your cpu load temp around or below 70 at load.

When you know that the cpu is fully stable (not sure what app is used for the newer intel but i used Prime95 for 12 hrs), then save a profile of that oc in the bios. i hav like 6 profiles of cpu oc on mine saved from 4.5 to 5.0 GHz HT on and off. I've had my 4.5GHz since i built this rig almost 4 yrs ago i think.

When you start oc'ing the gpu, try what ku4 suggested but may i add that every gpu is different. i have two 290s. one i bought at launch and can do 1175 at stock voltage to bench. my second hand one i got a year after can do 1150 at stock. Both are watercooled though. So, try 1050, 1000, 1100 at stock BUT max out the Power limit. I use Trixx. i use Firestrike and Heaven to test and if an oc pass those i jump into my go to game, which is BF4.

Like i said, 1100 you already have a 390. Prolly lower. 1150 a 390X. My 1200 (stock is 947) is a tad faster than a 390X. i game at stock cause i have 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Wait, you got a haswell, you can aim for a lower oc. i was basing mine on a sandy. 4.2 - 4.3 GHz oc will be more than enuf to get better minimum fps. try to keep your cpu load temp around or below 70 at load.

When you know that the cpu is fully stable (not sure what app is used for the newer intel but i used Prime95 for 12 hrs), then save a profile of that oc in the bios. i hav like 6 profiles of cpu oc on mine saved from 4.5 to 5.0 GHz HT on and off. I've had my 4.5GHz since i built this rig almost 4 yrs ago i think.

When you start oc'ing the gpu, try what ku4 suggested but may i add that every gpu is different. i have two 290s. one i bought at launch and can do 1175 at stock voltage to bench. my second hand one i got a year after can do 1150 at stock. Both are watercooled though. So, try 1050, 1000, 1100 at stock BUT max out the Power limit. I use Trixx. i use Firestrike and Heaven to test and if an oc pass those i jump into my go to game, which is BF4.

Like i said, 1100 you already have a 390. Prolly lower. 1150 a 390X. My 1200 (stock is 947) is a tad faster than a 390X. i game at stock cause i have 2.
thx for the good info....i think i'd be happy with the cpu being anything 4.0 or better. two quick questions? can i leave xmp enabled,and will using two monitors affect gpu oc'ing? i would like to use second monitor to watch temps and stuff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz72 View Post

thx for the good info....i think i'd be happy with the cpu being anything 4.0 or better. two quick questions? can i leave xmp enabled,and will using two monitors affect gpu oc'ing? i would like to use second monitor to watch temps and stuff.
Yes, XMP should be used whenever possible - imo. unless it does not let the ram use its default speed.

i checked your motherboard and it has hdmi. i recommend the igpu if it is just for monitoring temps. you should be able to use it for other stuff like browsing the web. multi-monitor on the gpu might prevent your gpu from idling and raise its temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Yes, XMP should be used whenever possible - imo. unless it does not let the ram use its default speed.

i checked your motherboard and it has hdmi. i recommend the igpu if it is just for monitoring temps. you should be able to use it for other stuff like browsing the web. multi-monitor on the gpu might prevent your gpu from idling and raise its temp.
i never thought about using the igpu.....so there is a use for it,haha. thx again
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top