Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 is in the RMA process. All I have to work with for the moment is my i7-2700K with Intel 3000HD graphics. I can find settings to make HD4000 work, but not 3000. I get an error every time I try to start it. I'm just looking for bottom of the barrel settings to make it run at all. Anyone got any ideas? The Intel control panel seems extremely lacking in useful settings.

·
Premium Member
7,423 Posts
Lol hd3000 can't do it. I could not even display borderlands properly let alone play it. Always good to have a backup gpu around. The igpu on sandy is useless unless you play vanilla skyrim at 720p.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

Lol hd3000 can't do it. I could not even display borderlands properly let alone play it. Always good to have a backup gpu around. The igpu on sandy is useless unless you play vanilla skyrim at 720p.
I thought that maybe I could at least stutter along. Don't have money for a spare $150 card for emergencies. A buddy of mine is going to let me borrow a 4870 X2 next week. Was hoping to do a little damage this weekend, but oh well.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breenemeister View Post

I thought that maybe I could at least stutter along. Don't have money for a spare $150 card for emergencies. A buddy of mine is going to let me borrow a 4870 X2 next week. Was hoping to do a little damage this weekend, but oh well.
Don't need a spare $150 card. You can get a GTX 460 for like $35 or $40 to use as a spare.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A buddy let me borrow his 480 GTX. It works, albeit at lower settings of course. The thing is loud, too.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

A buddy let me borrow his 480 GTX. It works, albeit at lower settings of course. The thing is loud, too.
They also run hot. If you see it hitting 90C don't worry 'cause that's normal.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

They also run hot. If you see it hitting 90C don't worry 'cause that's normal.
It seems like the default fan setting tries to keep it below 80. That's as high as it's gotten. I remember reading about how hot Fermi was, but I've only ever owned a gtx460 in the past, so this is my first experience with a full size blower style card. Sapphire sent me tracking information for my replacement card, so I should have it next week. I'm assuming I'm getting the same model card back as they didn't specify anything. I know that the 290 Vapor-X is no longer in production. I was hoping to maybe get the 290X as a replacement.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The replacement 290 is back in action. What's funny is that the serial number on the replacement is actually lower than the serial number I returned. Must be a refurb or been sitting for quite a while. The fan shroud had the stick on plastic covering. I wonder if they just "fixed" a broken card with a new cooler assembly.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Quote:

The replacement 290 is back in action. What's funny is that the serial number on the replacement is actually lower than the serial number I returned. Must be a refurb or been sitting for quite a while. The fan shroud had the stick on plastic covering. I wonder if they just "fixed" a broken card with a new cooler assembly.
I just sent in a 290x stock to sapphire and they sent me back a tri-x 290x. It's been rock solid stable and the temps are amazing. I don't think you'll be having any problems, it seems like they test them before they send them out.

Also, I haven't tried overclocking, but I got hynix memory and with the temps I'm getting currently, I might try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts