Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up a fresh installation of Windows 7 for my new Asus Direct CU II r9 290, and Skyrim is performing sub-par! 60 fps to as low as 25 fps in towns. (Ultra Pre-set)

My rig is as follows:

1055t 3.5ghz six core AMD CPU

16GB ddr3 1333mhz RAM

Asus Direct CU II r9 290 GPU

1080p 60hz monitor

700 watt OCZ power supply

AMD 13.2 drivers.

These rates are similar on both vanilla Skyrim and heavily modded Skyrim.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
did u write 13.2 driver?

make sure you have at least 13.12 driver.
Also the 1055T might be holding you back. I had the same processor as you and I had a lot of dips into 30-40 FPS. Skyrim only uses 2 cores.
Try to overclock higher with your 1055T if you can.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Skyrim, being the horrendously unoptimized masterpiece it is, calculates shadows on the CPU. Turn shadows to high/medium (or tweak the ini yourself), and you should see a big FPS boost.

Also, push that 1055T a little harder
biggrin.gif
. Shadows in Skyrim are well threaded, but nothing else is lol.

EDIT: And yes, update your drivers. 13.2 is old, or did you mean 14.2?

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
It's CPU.

I get drops as low as 38 or so with my GTX 780 / FX 8320 @ 4.4 in skyrim. It's mainly in towns however.

Check it out, that's at 1080p, maxed FXAA w/high res texture pack and vsync on. Outside of towns it stays at 60 fps though, and it still runs fairly smooth in towns even when dropping fps. (Sorry about video quality, my upload speed sucks.). You can see the fps much better in the 2nd half of the video.

*It takes my CPU clocked @ 4.4 to keep 60 fps on the map. Anything under, and it drops to 45 w/vsync.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
^ I saw a sizable FPS boost in towns when I upgraded my trusty Phenom II X4 with a 4670k. But I still use less-than-ultra shadow settings, ultra shadows really hammer the CPU.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seid Dark View Post

Since you have very good motherboard and custom loop cooling overclock your CPU to 3,8-4,2GHz. Should help but there will still be some fps drops until you go Intel. Bethesda doesn't know how to optimize their games.
It took a few patches to add SSE support... A simple compiler flag took weeks! That's past not knowing
lachen.gif

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

^ I saw a sizable FPS boost in towns when I upgraded my trusty Phenom II X4 with a 4670k. But I still use less-than-ultra shadow settings, ultra shadows really hammer the CPU.
Getting a 4770k next week. I'm sure there is still fps drop with them, but, I'm hoping for more like 50 or so.

Still, the game is very playable, and is only a issue in towns. I mean, outside, even in fights it doesn't have that problem.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post

Stupid question, but you have it in uber mode right? Not the quiet position?
It's classic CPU / engine issues.

In Oblivion, I have the same in town drops as in skyrim (I'm sure he would too). Ubermode for him shouldn't have much of a impact. Shoot, you can max out skyrim with a lot less.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,669 Posts
~!uggg!~

skyrim-shadows-lag

I built the computer I have now to play skyrim, but the biggest burst to my skyrim experience was SKSE + ENB. SKSE is just install and run skyrim from the shortcut on the desktop, enb is a bit more work to get going, but can improve performance drastically if you set your config file correctly, or it can kill your framerate if you are all about the eyecandy.

As others have suggested...lower the shadow resolution through the skyrim launcher, and then sharpen/soften them back up with the ENB.

ENB:

http://enbdev.com/mod_tesskyrim_v0251.htm

SKSE:

http://skse.silverlock.org/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts