Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today i was playing a siege battle in total war rome II, and i had an awfull lot of stutter and low fps.

i then decided to check msi after burner so i closed the game downloaded msi and ran the game again. and there i noticed that my gpu was only running 475hz and sometimes would peak to 900 just to go down again.
this hasnt happend with bf4 of what im concerned of.
the r9 290 tri x runs at 1000mhz and 1300mhz memory, the memory was always at 1300 but not the core clock
what do i do? i got the omega driver

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The 290-series feature dynamic clocking. It has no baseclock other than the 300mhz idle clock, and it will adjust itself up and down as needed. For instance, if you use vsync on a non-demanding game, you'll see the clocks drop. I first noticed this when I played Dishonored with vsync, the gpu was clocked at roughly 700mhz. This will also happen in cases where you don't use vsync, Arma 3 is a good example.

Strategy-games with many units are very taxing on the cpu. The cpu is most likely the cause of the stuttering and low framerates, and consequently causing the gpu to clock itself down. It has not entered 2d-mode or anything like that, because as you noted, the memory was always clocked at 1300mhz.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattifnatten View Post

The 290-series feature dynamic clocking. It has no baseclock other than the 300mhz idle clock, and it will adjust itself up and down as needed. For instance, if you use vsync on a non-demanding game, you'll see the clocks drop. I first noticed this when I played Dishonored with vsync, the gpu was clocked at roughly 700mhz. This will also happen in cases where you don't use vsync, Arma 3 is a good example.

Strategy-games with many units are very taxing on the cpu. The cpu is most likely the cause of the stuttering and low framerates, and consequently causing the gpu to clock itself down. It has not entered 2d-mode or anything like that, because as you noted, the memory was always clocked at 1300mhz.
got a 4690k at 3.9ghz turbo, shouldnt that be enough?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Depends on the amout of units on screen. The game can choke pretty much any cpu.

4,8GHz 2600k getting 26 minimum, and below it, Intel hex-cores.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattifnatten View Post

Depends on the amout of units on screen. The game can choke pretty much any cpu.

4,8GHz 2600k getting 26 minimum, and below it, Intel hex-cores.
usually there is around 5000 units or so + the citys and siegebattles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts