Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Im trying to get my 290x folding, but when I try add it on [email protected] it just says something along the lines of "no gpu found on local". Im assuming this is because the card is not recognized by [email protected] yet, is there any way I can get it recognized?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thats the spirit, folding from day one. I guess it will take some time before they support 290 series for [email protected], but i m really interested to see some ppd both stock and oc'ed speeds.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
id just wait till the next core comes out then bring on them ppd

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

Ive read people just adjust the GPU.TXT file, cant this be done?
If it is, without any optimizations for the albeit small differences, you might be looking at yields in the margin of last gen cards, or worse - same clock for clock performance as them. You would strive for forcing it to be recognized as another card, no?

(I am just throwing wild guesses so bear with me.)

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
$ilent
I think I just figured it out.

When taking a look through the GPUs file, I found

Code:

Code:
0x1002:0x6790:1:5:Tahiti0x1002:0x6791:1:5:Tahiti0x1002:0x6792:1:5:Tahiti0x1002:0x6798:1:5:Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970]
which refers as to which devices are Radeon HD 7970 GPUs.

So after a lookup I confirmed that ven_1002&dev_6790, etc are indeed those GPUs.
So,
open Device Manager, go to your Display Adapters > X9 290 Properties > Details tab and select Hardware Ids. Note them down.
Now look up the line I quoted (just Ctrl+F for a '7970' ) and before the brackets, input them so it looks like this:

Code:

Code:
0x1002:0x6790:1:5:Tahiti0x1002:0x6791:1:5:Tahiti0x1002:0x6792:1:5:Tahiti0x1002:0x6798:1:5:Tahiti XT0x****:0x****:1:5[Radeon HD 7970]
I'm not sure what the last two values :)1:5) refer to, but I assume it has something to do with architecture. And since the R9 Hawaii series are already defined as such (source), I suppose these are the values you seek.
^
assumption made also because 6000-series and the time-related FirePros are :1:4.

Post back once you try it!
thumb.gif

Edit: Actually the first value (1) represents Vendor. 1 for AMD/ATI and NVidia cards go under '2'. And the last two bytes must be architecture, because Fermis end in :2:2; Keplers in :2:3, etc.

Edit2: Summarized description for GPUs.txt, in case it hasn't been posted and somebody finds it useful:

[VendorID]:[DeviceID]:[VendorEnumerate]:[ArchitectureEnumerate]:[GPU]
E.g.
0x10de:0x1180:2:3:GK104 = NVidia:GTX680:NVidia:Kepler:GK104

·
Iconoclast
31,443 Posts
290X is probably more closely related to the 7790, architecture wise (both are GCN 1.1).

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

My hardware IDs look nothing like that though.

Heres one of 4:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B0&SUBSYS_0B001002&REV_00
So with Blameless' post taken into account try adding this:

Code:

Code:
0x1002:0x67b0:1:5:Bonaire XT
Right before

Code:

Code:
[Radeon HD 7790]
So it looks something like this:
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

And Blameless thanks for clarifying that!
thumb.gif

I'm not that familiar with ATI/AMD's products.

Edit: requesting confirmation if it should be noted as 'Bonaire XT'. I assume the client might read it and the GPU will be recognized as such in human-readable format?

·
Iconoclast
31,443 Posts
Bonaire is the code name for the much smaller 7790 die.

R290X uses the Hawaii XT part (which shares the same shader uarc as Bonaire).

Anyway, the name in the txt is probably just for reference. You could likely call it 'Samwise Gamgie PRO' without problems.

• Rep+
Reactions: fragamemnon

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Bonaire is the code name for the much smaller 7790 die.

R290X uses the Hawaii XT part (which shares the same shader uarc as Bonaire).

Anyway, the name in the txt is probably just for reference. You could likely call it 'Samwise Gamgie PRO' without problems.
Got it. GCN is the architecture; Bonaire is the die codename.
thumb.gif
(IIRC it was ~25% smaller than Tahiti, right?)

Now I want to read up more on Hawaii/Bonaire.
redface.gif

And at some point I will also test whether the name is associated with any specific optimizations on any projects for that chip, or just used for reference.
I am curious, it would be interesting if specific work units are pushed with higher priority to some chips.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementR View Post

LINK to GPU.txt file from Stanford. I searched though it and the 290x has not been added.
Yeah and I actually feel sorry that I don't have an unsupported (yet) GPU in order to try to cheat it.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
READ THIS. You cannot just modify the gpu.txt file and fold on your GPU. It is required that the GPU is added to the GPU.txt file and on the Assignment Servers. Editing just the .txt file will change nothing.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts