Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrading. However, most games I've played have had zero issues playing at max settings 1600p. However, i want to switch to 4k in the future, so do you think I would see much or an improvement? Or would it be more of a side-grade?
 

·
Mr.4way SLI
Joined
·
5,522 Posts
I'm wanting to see the results as I am thinking of dumping my 4way GTX 970s. I have been very happy with 4 way 970s but the new 1070 or 1080 look to be monsters.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman View Post

I'm wanting to see the results as I am thinking of dumping my 4way GTX 970s. I have been very happy with 4 way 970s but the new 1070 or 1080 look to be monsters.
4 way SLI? Must have horrific game support.
 

·
Mr.4way SLI
Joined
·
5,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleBound View Post

4 way SLI? Must have horrific game support.
Mostly It is for Benching. However I have no Issues playing the games I Play with 4 way.
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Do you plan on watercooling? Because if you leave them on air, 4x290X will be constantly throttled, these cards are hot as Satan's butthole and need to breathe, cram 4 of them in a case and you better move to Alaska.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

Do you plan on watercooling? Because if you leave them on air, 4x290X will be constantly throttled, these cards are hot as Satan's butthole and need to breathe, cram 4 of them in a case and you better move to Alaska.
The four R9 290x are currently watercooled. I remember the days I waited for the water blocks to come in and using all four of those things. I almost died from melting...
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCB View Post

The four R9 290x are currently watercooled. I remember the days I waited for the water blocks to come in and using all four of those things. I almost died from melting...
Ah, good then!
biggrin.gif
I imagine currently it won't be very beneficial to move to 1080's, unless it's for electricity cost reasons. For performance, wait for 1080Ti's or AMD's whatever comes after Fury X.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCB View Post

Thinking about upgrading. However, most games I've played have had zero issues playing at max settings 1600p. However, i want to switch to 4k in the future, so do you think I would see much or an improvement? Or would it be more of a side-grade?
if you are not heavily interested in VR or multi monitor, i would say wait. one upper tier card might be more in line with 4k as the 1080 by its self is pretty close.

I can't really see you running into Vram issues @ 1600p

and 4gb is enough for alot of things but not all things, if you see a deal on a monitor then decide
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

sell 2x 290x or 3x 290x and wait for vega 10
Yep proly the best advice right now.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top