Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i did tons of research before i ordered my parts and now im sitting at my table with my 290x.. got it for pretty cheap brand new and right now its torn apart.. its the asus model and i have a aquacomputer hawaii waterblock for it.. i bought this one because its the one they use in the video on youtube of them installing it. unfortunately the pcb layout and screws are in different places altogether. i did this so it would be simple but im not sure it is even possible to fit the way it is.

its also got one screw on the backplate that looks like it has a nut welded on to make it impossible to remove. any thoughts? dont know whats going on or why it wont work, but the 290x i got was completely different from the website picture.. it was identical to the youtube video on the ncix.com website but mine has a 2 fan heatsink and looks completely different on the outside and inside. the information is below. some advice would be appreciated. dont know what to do!

this is the youtube video and also the instructions are identical in the box i got. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvD1s83u_hQ

here is what it looks like

and here is the big ass double fan heatsink i pulled off..

seems i wasted money, but there was no way for me to know that it would not fit

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
The one in the video is the Asus R9 290X reference, the one you have seems to be the DirectCU II board, not a reference. Dismount that heatsink that sits below those caps and see if that lets it seat properly, seems to be the only significant physical change just by eyeballing it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not sure if i understand what you meant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

The one in the video is the Asus R9 290X reference, the one you have seems to be the DirectCU II board, not a reference. Dismount that heatsink that sits below those caps and see if that lets it seat properly, seems to be the only significant physical change just by eyeballing it.
im not sure if i understand what you meant about dismounting the heatsink? i have it off already but i think im just misunderstanding

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talinthis View Post

im not sure if i understand what you meant
im not sure if i understand what you meant about dismounting the heatsink? i have it off already but i think im just misunderstanding
Added an image, the factory board does not have that heatsink.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah i see what you mean. it looks like it will fit now, however that one damn bolt by the gpu with the nut welded on.. sigh. next time i will definitely make sure i get a reference card. i didnt know about that.

that bolt is the only thing standing in my way of mounting this thing now. its in the way of the waterblock from sitting flush when i try to lay it in. tryin to figure out a way to get it off

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Flop it on ebay and get a reference card. Hell, with the current demand for R9 290x cards you could probably make a profit from this mistake.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
On the flop side there's also this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpworks View Post

Edit, Ooops this for the 290x OC
Quote:
Dear customer,

Currently the waterblock for EK-FC R9-290X DCII is in testing phase and shall be ready for sales in 3 weeks.

If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lep pozdrav, Kind regards, MFG!
I got this from EK support 3 days ago. I am also waiting for one of these.
Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1464372/water-block-for-an-asus-280x-dcii-top

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i will have to, i laid it on the board and it does not fit. those capacitors on the right side dont line up properly and it does not seat. oh well now i know i need reference cards for watercooled gpu's

i will reapply the thermal paste and reassemble. thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talinthis View Post

yeah i will have to, i laid it on the board and it does not fit. those capacitors on the right side dont line up properly and it does not seat. oh well now i know i need reference cards for watercooled gpu's

i will reapply the thermal paste and reassemble. thanks for your help
See above post.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Quote:

Flop it on ebay and get a reference card. Hell, with the current demand for R9 290x cards you could probably make a profit from this mistake.
good luck with that i've got tons of 290/x i've been trying to sell and lowball offers only. The demand is pretty much over with better mining options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

On the flop side there's also this:
Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1464372/water-block-for-an-asus-280x-dcii-top
ah sorry we are both too quick to respond i guess haha. that would be much more preferrable than trying to sell my card.. i loved the aquatuning one but i guess i can sell that instead. i will keep an eye out for this thing and for now i suppose i will leave my card out of my WC loop

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamG6 View Post

Edit, should have refreshed my page before posting the same thing as everyone else
biggrin.gif
Gotta hate those ninja posts.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you can't easily return the 290X, I believe there are some blocks that work with the ASUS Direct CUII card now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts