Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've recently upgraded my graphic card to a r9 390,from a HD 7970. I went in game (The Division), and got only a minor improvement, around 2-4 fps. Was really disappointed, and checked the usage, and shocked to see the gpu usage fluctuating.

My rig specs are,
Asus crosshair V formula
Amd phenom ii x6 1090t (stock)
4x4 corsair vengeance
Corsair h100i
Sapphire Amd Radeon r9 390 nitro.
750w corsair power supply. Can't remember what model.

Is it my power supply? Or incorrect driver installation method? Cpu bottleneck?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
230 Posts
what monitor are you using? how much fps are you getting? are you using max settings?

switch to uber bios and increase the power limit

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Theres no uber bios anymore haha. Try to update to the latest drivers, and under Crimson turn off power efficiency see if that helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't remember the exact model, it's a 23' dell.
Nope not running at max settings, exact same custom settings before I installed the r9 390. Getting an average fps of 40-55 which is almost the same as my 7970,which is weaker only by 2-4 fps.. Running at 1080p.. I'm not with my rig now.. Will try to reinstall drivers, and turn power efficiency off.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
It's most definitely a CPU bottleneck. You'll need one of Intel's i5/i7 CPU's from Sandy Bridge or newer if you plan to get the most out of that card.

I had a 1090T and it would bottleneck SLI 460s back in the day, switched to a 2500K at the time and never saw less than 99% usage on the cards after that.

You can run Heaven Benchmark to make sure the card is working properly (look at GPU usage), but I'm confident it's fine. The only thing you can do without swapping CPUs would be to OC that one as far as you can.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amin7ty View Post

Hi guys, I've recently upgraded my graphic card to a r9 390,from a HD 7970. I went in game (The Division), and got only a minor improvement, around 2-4 fps. Was really disappointed, and checked the usage, and shocked to see the gpu usage fluctuating.

My rig specs are,
Asus crosshair V formula
Amd phenom ii x6 1090t (stock)
4x4 corsair vengeance
Corsair h100i
Sapphire Amd Radeon r9 390 nitro.
750w corsair power supply. Can't remember what model.

Is it my power supply? Or incorrect driver installation method? Cpu bottleneck?

Thanks guys
Don't mix apps. If AB, then just use AB. You can't leave the thuban at stock. I had to oc my thuban to 4.2 GHz to alleviate the bottleneck a bit with a 290. Even with a 7950, I have to oc to 3.8GHz.

Use the slider in AB to check CPU core usages in game but, like iinversion said, see if gpu clocks are in full tilt in synthetic benchmark like Heaven 4.0 first. Clocks for core and vram should be a STRAIGHT line when at load in that bench.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

It's most definitely a CPU bottleneck. You'll need one of Intel's i5/i7 CPU's from Sandy Bridge or newer if you plan to get the most out of that card.

I had a 1090T and it would bottleneck SLI 460s back in the day, switched to a 2500K at the time and never saw less than 99% usage on the cards after that.

You can run Heaven Benchmark to make sure the card is working properly (look at GPU usage), but I'm confident it's fine. The only thing you can do without swapping CPUs would be to OC that one as far as you can.
Wow you guys are totally right i didnt even notice the ridiculously outdated cpu my bad. Def sounds like bottleneck. Check your cpu usage if its at 100% usage all the time theres your issue.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Account Banned View Post

Get at least an i3 and then bottleneck be gone.
i3 and a GTX 960 or 270X maybe. If Division is anything like GTA V and BF4 . . . i3 will choke.

EDIT: Even my i7 HT off at 4.5GHz was getting maxed at BF4 . . .

With a single 290.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
You should check the core speed over time in AB. I have had downclocking problems in some games, most recently "Squad". The GPU usage is very "spiky" like yours and the GPU kept switching between 2d/3d clocks. This created a really laggy and horrible experience.

Using clockblocker fixed this, the clock speeds stayed at full 3d level and the game was much smoother. It still suffers from the "spiky" GPU usage, but that is down to the game being in alpha I believe.

Try clockblocker before you do anything else, just to see if it gives you a more reasonable experience.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

i3 and a GTX 960 or 270X maybe. If Division is anything like GTA V and BF4 . . . i3 will choke.

EDIT: Even my i7 HT off at 4.5GHz was getting maxed at BF4 . . .

With a single 290.
BF4 is one of the least CPU intensive games, even in 64 player multiplayer servers. And your CPU being maxed out in a game doesn't mean the game requires that horsepower.
JayzTwoCents has a good video about bottlenecking, I suggest you watch it.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Quote:

BF4 is one of the least CPU intensive games, even in 64 player multiplayer servers. And your CPU being maxed out in a game doesn't mean the game requires that horsepower.
JayzTwoCents has a good video about bottlenecking, I suggest you watch it.
You are prolly thinking of BF4 Single player.

BTW, very few refer to Jayz here in OCN. You are one of them.

EDIT: Here was BF4 MP with my thuban 4GHz and a 290 . . .

an i3 will end up bottlenecking a 390, too.

·
100+ fps
2,466 Posts
It's your CPU. Try OC. You should get some i5/7 or Zen later this year. Don't bother with FX.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lass3 View Post

It's your CPU.
^this, especially at stock. like i said, even with a 7950 the thuban has to be oc'ed.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
Yup, your CPU. Overclock your CPU-NB to 2.6Ghz, overclockyour CPU cores to 3.6Ghz with minor voltage increase and you should start kicking the game ass.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

Yup, your CPU. Overclock your CPU-NB to 2.6Ghz, overclockyour CPU cores to 3.6Ghz with minor voltage increase and you should start kicking the game ass.
even my sandy will bottleneck my single 290 if i leave it at stock. heck it will bottleneck the 7970. of course it depends on the game.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

You are prolly thinking of BF4 Single player.

BTW, very few refer to Jayz here in OCN. You are one of them.

EDIT: Here was BF4 MP with my thuban 4GHz and a 290 . . .

an i3 will end up bottlenecking a 390, too.
JayzTwoCents is probably not the best source of info, but these are:

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html
BF4 CPU benchmarks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dUCeF2jnU
Pay attention to the GTA V benchmarks at the end, the i3 does not struggle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mSU0UWFCa1Y
With an overclocked Titan X in GTA V the i3-6100 was only 10-20 fps behind the i5-6600k, so by that logic a 390 would bottleneck it a lot less than that (I could not find any benchmarks of an i3 with a 390).

And my final point is that an i3-6100 would be substantially better than his CPU, and an i5 or an i7 would be substantially better than that.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
The Phenoms II x6 should totally be able to deliver good FPS (read 40-60) for a well threaded game, and if its not enough, you will have to overclock the cores and the IMC, which usually increases the total performance by about 20-25%. A stock 1090T will not be able to push the 290 as well. I am barely pushing my OC 290 with increase from 3Ghz to 3.6Ghz cores and from 2Ghz to 2.8Ghz IMC.

Quote:

BF4 CPU benchmarks

With an overclocked Titan X in GTA V the i3-6100 was only 10-20 fps behind the i5-6600k, so by that logic a 390 would bottleneck it a lot less than that (I could not find any benchmarks of an i3 with a 390).

And my final point is that an i3-6100 would be substantially better than his CPU, and an i5 or an i7 would be substantially better than that.
Yes, but its easier to give 50$ for proper cooling and OC the current CPU, than to give 500$+ for new CPU,MB and RAM.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Quote:

BF4 CPU benchmarks

don't have time to watch the YT but tests done by techspot were Single Player.

Have you played BF4? Both SP and MP?

Anyways, the game the op is referring to is the Division, so you don't need to respond.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

The Phenoms II x6 should totally be able to deliver good FPS (read 40-60) for a well threaded game, and if its not enough, you will have to overclock the cores and the IMC, which usually increases the total performance by about 20-25%. A stock 1090T will not be able to push the 290 as well. I am barely pushing my OC 290 with increase from 3Ghz to 3.6Ghz cores and from 2Ghz to 2.8Ghz IMC.
Yes, but its easier to give 50$ for proper cooling and OC the current CPU, than to give 500$+ for new CPU,MB and RAM.
I never mentioned or debated overclocking, but yes it is definitely easier to just overclock your components. But with such a powerful graphics card you should at the very least consider upgrading to unlock it's full potential. And you can always put your old components to good use too, it could be a budget solution to a NAS, an HTPC or an intermediate for multiple file-sharing servers.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts