Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a question...

I will be mounting my rad on the top of my cooler master HAF case.

After mounting 3 fans on my rad, how on earth will I power them?

I doubt the cords will be long enough to reach the motherboard.

Will I need to buy an extender, or what do most people do?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I used to have them on my motherboard, then I used molex to fan connectors now I'm using a fan controller.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Get a fan controller, If needed you can extend the fan wires yourself instead of buying extensions.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've pretty much shelled out more than I wanted (around $400) so I'd like to avoid buying a controller.

The fans I will be using are the medium speed Yate Loons.

They come with 3-4 pin connectors. I'm hoping the wires are long enough to reach the motherboard or I will have to figure out some way to extend them. :S

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any other ways to do this without a fan controller?

How do most Water Coolers deal with this issue?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
You could use a fan controller or a power-hub.

And, as already stated you could run them off the motherboard.
I'm just worried that the cord length will be too short for all 3 to connect to the motherboard.

I will look into the power-hub thanks syr.

I would get a fan controller but I'm really not looking to shell out any more money.

Spent too much as it is.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just running this fan controller here with 5 fans [email protected] rpm, its nice to be able to turn them down to 1000 when not overclocking. Only paid about $65.00 and Im about 2 hrs from you

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

I'm just worried that the cord length will be too short for all 3 to connect to the motherboard.

I will look into the power-hub thanks syr.

I would get a fan controller but I'm really not looking to shell out any more money.

Spent too much as it is.

If the cable length(s) are indeed an issue, then you could get some inexpensive extensions like This. Or, if you have parts laying around you could make your own.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twitch101
View Post

money really isnt an issue with fan controllers. for $20 you can get a rheobus from newegg.

seconded... it suits me fine. Dirt cheap, handles s***-tons of fans, terribly sensitive controls though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts