Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been asked before, but please bear with me. I am new to water cooling and I want to make sure I get this right.

I have a Core i7 920 and i am investigating the possibility of water cooling it. From the threads and guides I have read, i got the impression that the i7's run kind of hot and require at least a 2x120mm or 3x120mm radiator. I then saw that a Koolance 1x120mm rad has an approximate heat dissipation of 400W.



Intel lists the 920 as having a max TDP of 130W and I have measured about 150W using CPU ID Sys monitor. Does this mean that i could use a single 120mm rad for a CPU and chipset loop? This would be an optimal configuration for me; I wouldn't have to mount anything outside of the case and I would have some headroom for overclocking.

If I can use a single 120mm rad, any product recommendations would be appreciated, and if not than what should I use instead.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
TDP of 130W is using stock settings. When you overclock your processor, the actual power draw increases considerably.

Aside from that, there are air coolers which are rated for 200W or more TDP - it doesn't mean they're the best solution for the job though.

Stick with a 3x120mm or greater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by sn0man
View Post

TDP of 130W is using stock settings. When you overclock your processor, the actual power draw increases considerably.

Aside from that, there are air coolers which are rated for 200W or more TDP - it doesn't mean they're the best solution for the job though.

Stick with a 3x120mm or greater.

Ok, so the 1x120mm rad would indeed work for the i7 at stock speed, but in terms OC performance its basically useless? Correct?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,490 Posts
To be clear: the chart shows that while maintaining a 25 degree difference between the water in the loop, and the air temp the rad is able to remove 400 or so watts of heat. As deltas between water and air temp increases, so does the effectiveness of the heat transfer.

That said: the temperature at your CPU and chipset will be significantly higher than the water temp. If you were to maintain a 25 degree delta between ambients and water temps you're either running in Antarctica, or you're going to be smoking your CPU.

Most watercoolers seek the lowest deltas they can achieve, not because it's least efficient (per heat transfer), but because high water temp = higher component temps. The delta in the chart above are an order of magnitude higher than a watercooling enthusiasts deltas.

Now, I think that most folks over rad to the point of stupidity. And I know a single rad can keep a CPU cooler than most air coolers, but I would recommend a 240 in this instance anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I go with a 240 does it matter if I use two separate 1x120 rads or a single 2x120?

Also, I know it's mostly a matter of opinion, but any product recommendations would be good too.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
I have the feser 360 with 3 panflo 120 x 38 mm fans that push 114 cfm. They are noisy if you turn them all the way up, but they work very well..

My i7 is at 4.2 and the temps are 22c idle and 55 with prime after 16 hours.

I wouldnt get that Corsair H50 if you plan to OC. It will help but, if you have to put a lot of voltage on your cpu, it will get HOT.. really fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by joseph4.0
View Post

Right, so how exactly is the H50 going to work with a chipset block. I think not.

Who said chipset block? are you talking about the northbridge or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
A 240 radiator will be suitable, a 360 would be ideal. I would get a larger radiator because you can achieve the same cooling with lower speed fans, and have room to expand to video cards, chipsets and the like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by zamdam
View Post

Who said chipset block? are you talking about the northbridge or something?

Chipset means both Northbridge and Southbridge. On my motherboard the Northbridge has a water block integrated into it and is connected to the Southbridge via a heat pipe.

I mentioned it my first post:

Quote:


Originally Posted by joseph4.0
View Post

Does this mean that i could use a single 120mm rad for a CPU and chipset loop?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by joseph4.0
View Post

I know this has probably been asked before, but please bear with me. I am new to water cooling and I want to make sure I get this right.

I have a Core i7 920 and i am investigating the possibility of water cooling it. From the threads and guides I have read, i got the impression that the i7's run kind of hot and require at least a 2x120mm or 3x120mm radiator. I then saw that a Koolance 1x120mm rad has an approximate heat dissipation of 400W.



Intel lists the 920 as having a max TDP of 130W and I have measured about 150W using CPU ID Sys monitor. Does this mean that i could use a single 120mm rad for a CPU and chipset loop? This would be an optimal configuration for me; I wouldn’t have to mount anything outside of the case and I would have some headroom for overclocking.

If I can use a single 120mm rad, any product recommendations would be appreciated, and if not than what should I use instead.


Quote:


Originally Posted by joseph4.0
View Post

Right, so how exactly is the H50 going to work with a chipset block. I think not.

ok so.. no reason to be rude. We are all here to help you. Here is a list of parts I would suggest.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-Gentl...m-pr-4501.html Get 12 of these for a push config.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Watercool-He...r-pr-4606.html Get one of these.

I can't give you a proper suggestion on a chipset block because you have not even put in your system specs which you can from the user CP link at the top of the page. But I will give you one anyway for my board.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Bitspower-Bl...K-pr-4402.html

http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCP...p-pr-2982.html
Get one of these.. all you will need for a single loop

http://www.jab-tech.com/Feser-X-Chan...r-pr-4278.html
Get 2 of these just to be safe. OR

1 of these. http://www.jab-tech.com/Feser-X-Chan...r-pr-4279.html

http://www.jab-tech.com/Bitspower-Wa...K-pr-4585.html Get 1 of these.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Tygon-R-3400...8-pr-3959.html About 20 feet of to be safe in case you cut some the wrong length.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/peptpcobi1.html Get a bottle of this + 2 gallons of distilled water.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Bitspower-G1...5-pr-4581.html Get about 10 of these maybe 12 for GP.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Bitspower-Ma...2-pr-4628.html Get 6-8 of these for easy tube routing.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bid5modtop.html
Grab yourself one of those to make that pump look good.

http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/...ER%20PORT.html
Grab you a couple of those for easy fan wiring.

Hope this helps.. and BTW... whats your budget.. you forgot to mention that as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow thanks. Sorry about the sys specs thing, got them up now.

One of the reasons that i was looking into water cooling is that I got a really good deal on a Gigabyte x58 Extreme. It has a water block integrated into the Northbridge (which may or may not be complete crap), but it got me thinking about the possibilities.

In terms of budget I am trying to stay below the $500 mark, but it can be a little flexible.

Also, what's your opinion on non-conductive coolant? I guess distilled water is basically non-conductive (at least with nothing else in it), but I heard some people say get the official stuff and others say that it's a waste of money and will only leave residue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by joseph4.0
View Post

Wow thanks. Sorry about the sys specs thing, got them up now.

One of the reasons that i was looking into water cooling is that I got a really good deal on a Gigabyte x58 Extreme. It has a water block integrated into the Northbridge (which may or may not be complete crap), but it got me thinking about the possibilities.

In terms of budget I am trying to stay below the $500 mark, but it can be a little flexible.

Also, what’s your opinion on non-conductive coolant? I guess distilled water is basically non-conductive (at least with nothing else in it), but I heard some people say get the official stuff and others say that it’s a waste of money and will only leave residue.


for 500 you can get a killer setup. You dont have to have all the fancy gizmos. Distilled water is the way to go. If you are just doing the CPU and that intergrated chip set cooler, all you will need is one 360 with 6 of those fans in a push/pull. You can also just get a MCP 355 pump for about 30 less. It can run multi blocks just fine. Just get some simple gator clips for the hose and normal barbs. All that can be had for around 400 and under. If you shop around from the various sites you can also save even more.. I dont mind spending 20-50 more to get everything from one site.. It's easier and you will get everything in one box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice View Post
To be clear: the chart shows that while maintaining a 25 degree difference between the water in the loop, and the air temp the rad is able to remove 400 or so watts of heat. As deltas between water and air temp increases, so does the effectiveness of the heat transfer.

That said: the temperature at your CPU and chipset will be significantly higher than the water temp. If you were to maintain a 25 degree delta between ambients and water temps you're either running in Antarctica, or you're going to be smoking your CPU.
That chart looks more like a 5 deg delta. Probably a typo. Unless you are pumping 1500W into it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexVIII View Post
No!
I would not use one of these for a i7 just build a real water cooling set up. My temps at 35 at idle and 59/60 on a 50 pass linX test
I had a prebuilt kit lle that and I idled at45 linX was 75-80
He did ask for suggestions. Sorry that you had a bad experience with your pre built. I would suggest looking a little further to see what else I recommended.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top