Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live with two girls and they do not like being cold, which means even in winter the house is a stead 21C. I have talked them down to a little over 18C for the moment however my room during gaming can reach 24C or greater even when the hallway outside my computer room reads 18C with an air cooling solution.

I was thinking of placing my rad in the window, with some customizing around it to keep cold air from bleeding through without serving the purpose of cooling the water in my loop.

I am concerned though that the colder air will cool the water below ambient temps in house given I live in the upper midwest temps during the day will be around 4-0C during these winter months. Do I need to concern myself with condensation on the waterblock?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
If you go below the dew point (temperature at which water will precipitate out of the air) then yes, you will have condensation on your block, motherboard etc.

Check out the extreme cooling forums (TEC / Phase / DICE) to see how they waterproof the boards.

• Rep+
Reactions: BallaTheFeared

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
If you're running a radiator in 0C air, the water could be as low as 2-3C, which would make the water blocks in your system be somewhere in the 5-10C range. 5C is definitely cold enough to cause condensation, even with low humidity levels.

So you're definitely going to have to insulate your water blocks.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you change your cooling loop mixture to 50/50 or 60/40, like automotive for winter use, you can run with either the RAD or a RES outside your window with heat being dissipated at a slower rate, but still have a cooling loop at or above the dew point.

You can start the computer and let the loop warm up to a temp, then open the window and place the RAD/RES outside and close the window. From this point, the loop will work it's way lower until the full thermal saturation of the water takes place while the glycol coolant prevents freeze and does little with the heat.

Your coolant should be distilled water and Propylene Glycol.

Also, this technique depends on the pump operating temperature as well.

Monitor for a little while until you get the right percentage mixture that works best for temps of +10 to +40.

I've done this prior with my 1-gallon glass Vlasic pickle jar RES. The concept was first done by MorrisGS.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking to get lower water temps, the external heat dissipation would help with the heat inside, though that's not the driving force.

If it's 23C inside, and 10C outside the water hitting the block will probably be around 15C wouldn't it (at least it won't be either 23C nor will it be 10C since the water is being heated)? Is this difference enough to cause condensation?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. If the temperature outside dropped and you were idling your CPU the water temperature could easily drop to 5C, which would case condensation. I would just insulate your computer anyways. It's as simple as putting some kneadable eraser over your water blocks. Definitely easier than having to replace your hardware after it shorts out from condensation.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
I wouldn't risk it. If the temperature outside dropped and you were idling your CPU the water temperature could easily drop to 5C, which would case condensation. I would just insulate your computer anyways. It's as simple as putting some kneadable eraser over your water blocks. Definitely easier than having to replace your hardware after it shorts out from condensation.
you mean insulate the motherboard and put eraser over everything near the water block.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a picture guide/reference guild for this sort of thing that I may have missed?

Is it the same as if I was doing DICE?

·
Registered
903 Posts
insulate the motherboard maybe? You could put it near the window, make a mount for the radiator. The air should be warmer than it is directly outside. Make the fans blow inwards to act as a winter heater

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JE Nightmare
View Post

you mean insulate the motherboard and put eraser over everything near the water block.

No, I mean the water block. The motherboard isn't going to go below dew point because of a water block at 10C. Don't forget the CPU itself is still going to be around 30C, and that is the component separating the water block from the motherboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts