Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

So I just got my 5970 watercooled. At first it was getting idle temps around 54 but I fixed the problem after about a week and a half so now it idles at 32. I ran 3DMark to get some stress speeds (3DMark gave me 44). Wanting to be sure of those readings I loaded up Furmark.

Well as soon as the box came up my driver started to crash repeatedly ending in a BSOD STOP 0x116. Upon logging back into Windows a few seconds pass before I get green boxes everywhere and a BSOD this time STOP 0xA0000006. After that I booted into safe mode and everything was fine. I uninstalled my drivers and downloaded the Beta drivers to see if that would help. After rebooting into Windows with no driver installed everything works perfectly. I install the beta drivers and it goes back to BSODing with either a 0x116 or 0xA0000006 error and referencing some .sys file.

Then I loaded up Ubuntu and tried some of the GPU tests I could in Ubuntu without having a driver installed. No problems at all. I installed the Linux drivers from ATI and reboot and it almost immediatley locks up with green and pink boxes.

So far I've tried reseating and redownloading to no avail. Running Memtest gives an all clear. Every time I install the drivers I uninstall and run CCleaner to make sure the old ones are gone. Right now I have my 5970 out of my computer and I'm checking it for damage but I'm not seeing anything obvious. Is it possible that this is a software problem that is fixable?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of ATi drivers
(boy, am I gonna get flamed for that. Seriously, that is the reason I jumped to the Green Team a couple years ago)
Could the card be toast?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I don't see why it would be. I only have problems when I have drivers installed. If the card was bad wouldn't I have problems then too? I guess I can try some older drivers and see if they help :/

Also I hear you about these drivers. I'm normally an NVidia guy myself but a friend sold me this card a few years ago at a really good price so I decided to take my first step into ATI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts