Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, yes I'm sure you've had this thread before and I'm sure you're fed up with seeing it so firstly let me apologise for bringing up perhaps a post thats always being brought up.

A long long time ago in a bedroom far away..

Ok straight to the point.

System Spec:

CPU: 1700AMD
Graphics: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon 9600 ATLANTIS 256mb
Ram: 1024mb
HDD1: 30gig
HDD2: 80gig
Monitor: Eizo FlexScan F563-T 17"
Resolution: 1024x768

Description:

I've always had this problem, I get very low FPS in certain larger areas in games and when a few models/characters are onscreen. I once before tried the omega drivers and realised that it made hardly any difference. So now I'm trying them again, this time using driver cleaner.

I was looking through the options in the control panel for the gfx card and I noticed I am able to overclock my card. I was wondering if its worth it? I'm looking more for FPS but I would like my game to look the same. Generally I'm a CS player but for the love of god I'd love to play HL2 without frame dropping when more than 3 people show on screen, now I'm used to lag and dispatching the enemy isn't that difficult but would be nice to see all the physics work without having to lure them one at a time.

I know I don't have the best system in the world but really, I should be getting 100fps constant on CS regardless. Ok, 60fps as any higher on the hz of this monitor and the mouse seems faster. I only assume thats because I don't have the drivers installed and I have looked and looked and only found ones for a F56 monitor but thats not the issue here, unless thats whats really effecting my FPS. Previously on my last monitor I got the same FPS drop though so I doubt it.

Note:

My Motherboard is a ECS K7S5A, with a 4x AGP slot, is this a huge problem and perhaps the main cause of not getting the best out of this card? Would it fare better on an 8x slot? How much better?

Question: What can I do to improve this problem of FPS dropping?
Question: What values should I use to overclock my gfx card?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a 9600XT and tested it out at default speeds vs overclock. I over clocked my memory by only 17Mhz and my core by 31Mhz and am getting an extra 10 FPS out of Unreal Tournament 2004! I'm sure my card could go even faster but I want to wait until I get better cooling.

As far as the slow down goes I can't say, I haven't experienced anything like that. Why don't you download 3DMark03 and see if that shows anything. Like if it zooms through one thing but absolutely dies in the next. By overclocking and tweaking windows I was able to pull an extra 300 to 400 Marks out of 3DMark03.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I downloaded Aquamark3D and ran it before installing any omega drivers or using driver cleaner. Nor had I overclocked.

Since the post above I've used driver cleaner and removed all traces of the nvidia drivers and ati. Afterwards I installed the omega drivers and I've overclocked my gfx card using a tool called "ATiTool" which is a selve overclocking tool, its very good and it tests for errors on every push of the overclock. From 324 to 390 core and 189 to about 200ish memory.

Before doing all of the above, before cleaning or owt I ran a benchmark and got 17000, since doing the above I managed to get 20000, which is a pretty impressive improvement but not a scratch on some people who've managed 50k!

Yeah I noticed that it struggles alot with Overdraw and particle systems but I really think its due to the agp4x. Although the particle system seems very advance and much more than what you would perhaps see in most games. Smoke now in CS seems to run fine and I have no drop.. but still in someplaces I get random drops, although next time I'm there I dont seem to get a drop which is odd.

·
Banned
2,363 Posts
for better performance put your opgl and dx9 settings on highperformance and make sure your agp aperture is set on 64mb or 128mb if you are seeing texture corruption

and deffently upgrade the mobo 4x agp ***

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have R9600 256 Mb too. It's made by Saphire.
The main problem is in memory. I have Hynix 5ns memory. 9600 with 256 MB has very slow memory. It can be overclocked from 182 only to 195MHz. At 200Mhz there's a lot of artifacts after 3 secs running ATITool. But heatsink on GPU isn't bad and the best way of cooling GPU is just placing additional cooler below heatsink. It can be Zalman zm-f2 - cheap and quiet (in silent mode) or one of GlacialTech's.
So R9600 with 128 MB is even faster (

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think there is little difference between 8x and 4x. 256 megs are holding you back
the core on your (and my) card seems to have good frequency possibilities.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This thread is mad old...But

Having a 9600xt i can relate kinda.

If you are playing cs:S its your ram and your Processor that are slowing you down. I can get about 60fps constant minimum in CS:S after i OC'd my comp and got more ram.

If its standard CS , try changing your rates. Turning off vsync . Cl_updaterate 70 CL_cmdrate 101. Rate 20000.

HL and HL2 love ATI cards so you should get decent fps

buy a new computer
140$ get you a mobo and a amd-m

1 - 8 of 8 Posts