Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many issues...
Ok, the 5830 right now isn't supported/doesn't support software voltage control.
I figured I would give adjusting the BIOS a try and I have run into some speed bumps.
I CAN up the voltage in the BIOS with success. Stock volts is 1.25v and I can change it to 1.25v. I know it works because of the higher temps I get from that.
However, even just changing the voltage causes some issues with the clocks. After the BIOS voltage bump I can no longer adjust the clock speeds.

So, I thought I would try to manually adjust the clock speeds in RBE.
Even when setting the clocks to above stock (825/1050) it still runs at stock.
For instance, if I set the clocks in the BIOS to 1000/1180, when I boot up it still runs stock clocks. MSI Afterburner will say that 1000/1180 are the applied/stock speeds but, the current clock/memory speeds don't go over stock while running like FurMark.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I'd for sure also post over at TPU man, people over there tend to know a lot more about the vagaries of RBE than people on OCN.

To me it sounds like ATI might've done everything possible to prevent people from coaxing more performance out of these cards in order to protect the market share of the higher end models. If so, it may take a while for the RBE people to 'crack' these cards to allow you to do what you want to do. If they ever do ...

BTW, re-read your OP ... it says you raised the voltage from 1.25V ... to 1.25V

Good luck w/all this brother

• Rep+
Reactions: Contagion

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
I'd for sure also post over at TPU man, people over there tend to know a lot more about the vagaries of RBE than people on OCN.

To me it sounds like ATI might've done everything possible to prevent people from coaxing more performance out of these cards in order to protect the market share of the higher end models. If so, it may take a while for the RBE people to 'crack' these cards to allow you to do what you want to do. If they ever do ...

BTW, re-read your OP ... it says you raised the voltage from 1.25V ... to 1.25V

Good luck w/all this brother

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted it up there and after like 2 hours it had 2 views. One of them being me... TPU is.. meh for forum use.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by STErcan View Post
First of all, how did u extract the bios?

Backing up the bios: hit small green bio button in gpuz, hit Save to file

Name as original bios (or whatever)

Make a copy of this files, store the original file for safe keeping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see, when I use the same app + method, with windows 7 64x, XFX 5830, I get an error message, which shows that's not supported on this card.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

First of all, how did u extract the bios?
Thread Necromancy FTW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX View Post
Thread Necromancy FTW
Dude, what do you mean??? I read at an other post, that the bios of 5830 was not accesable for saving. Because ATI wants us not to mess with the voltage. Meaker was able to edit voltage with Pencil Mod, but that's crap, if software is available.

What i meant by how did u extract the bios? I meant, how did u cracked to save the bios...But I see, that u just saved the bios. If it is a 5830, could u mail it to me?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Dude, what do you mean??? I read at an other post, that the bios of 5830 was not accesable for saving. Because ATI wants us not to mess with the voltage. Meaker was able to edit voltage with Pencil Mod, but that's crap, if software is available.

What i meant by how did u extract the bios? I meant, how did u cracked to save the bios...But I see, that u just saved the bios. If it is a 5830, could u mail it to me?
He meant that you've resurrected a thread that hasn't had a post for 2.5 months, and started giving advice on it ...

Necromancy is the sorcery of bringing the dead back to life...

Contagion's probably had like 5 other video cards since then

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
he meant that you've resurrected a thread that hasn't had a post for 2.5 months, and started giving advice on it ...

Necromancy is the sorcery of bringing the dead back to life...

Contagion's probably had like 5 other video cards since then

·
Registered
18 Posts
Damm, ok. 2 months? I just bought the card 5830, and i'm looking forward to overclock it. I have the card watercooled, I only need info to get the voltage up. If softmod is not available for end of this month, i'm gonna use pencil mod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts