Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!!

Bought a radiator on line and when I received it, I noticed some of the fins were bent! is this a serious problem?? can I bend them back in place?
Its a swiftech triple fan rad I believe its called the MCR320.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Pics pleaaaaaaaaaase.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Depends on how bad they are. If you bought it brand new from an online store (PPC's, FrozenCPU, etc) then I would contact them and get an exchange if they are badly bent. If it's just one or two fins with a slight bend, then I'd just carefully bend them back.

Pics would help.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
No it shouldn't be a problem. The water doesn't flow through the fins, it flows through the tubes the fins are attached to. I wouldn't bother bending them back, they could snap off completely that way.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Hi.

Fins being bent is not so much of an issue so long as the solder/weld-points to the liquid channels are not broken.

You can straighten the bends with a needle-nose pliers that have the tips covered in tape so that the paint is not marred.

Some fins are soft enough that the corner of a credit card can be used to straighten/align them.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
If they arent too bad then you can just leave them. But this really depends on how bad the damage is. Pics are needed...If they are bent severely then I say return it if possible.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
What everyone else has said. Unless there are so many fins bent that it obstructs the airflow it shouldnt be a *huge* problem. But I'm sure its frustrating as can be to buy something new and find it damaged.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
i use a small flat tip screwdriver to "reposition" my fins when i accidentally bent them. Like other ppl said, as long as the soldered connection to the water jackets are not broken off then it still fully functions. i redid mine just cuz im a neat freak. Be careful when u bend them as not to break that sodlered connection off. if its like someone drew a picture in the fins then i'd get a refund and get another one tho.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rad was bought used on ebay fir $45 came with 3 yate loon fans. When I took one of the fans of I saw the bent fins. Ill post pictures later.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
that should be fine

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Those look to be minor bends that will not cause any leaks, and will not hurt the cooling potential of the radiator.

To be certain of leaks fill the radiator and take a close look, if you are so inclined, you could build a "mini-loop" with a reservoir, the pump and the radiator and power the whole kit-n-kaboodle with a "jumped" PSU.

Doing so will put the radiator under a little pressure which is preferable, imho.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts