Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a heater core but it has a few bent fins, I don't think it will effect performance any, should I use it or buy a new radiator? If you say keep it what kind of fans are best to use with it? If you say radiator whats the best budget radiator to get and what fans for it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
A good heater core is better than any rad that would be considered 'budget', you would probably need one of the 4x120s to beat a 68 bonnie...

but what kind of heater core do you have?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
It is a copper heater core right? It should perform quite well. Somewhere between a 360 and a 480 rad.

I made my rad from an old window air conditioner and it works great. While it's larger than a heatercore, I'm not running any fans over it and I'm still getting great temps.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its from a 68 bonneville I'm pretty sure. I bought it about a year ago on hardforum and never got around to using it. Pretty sure its copper, I know its been painted black and has 1/2" barbs on it.

edit- its from a 77 bonneville.

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Probably pretty well. Though some 38mm thick fans would likely be a good deal better since they have higher pressure. Heatercores shine with high airflow. If you want to change to a purpose built watercooling radiator, the Swiftech MCR series is cheap and efficient. An MCR320 with medium speed fans would match the heatercore with high speed fans.

A few bent fins are fine, as long as it doesn't leak.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No leaks or anything, I hope the yates are going to be ok because I already ordered them when I ordered my mounting kit for my block (enzotech sapphire) and my pump (mcp355)

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Some 120x38mm 86+ cfm fans would really be better on a Bonnie but I'd just use what you have, you could always add a couple more for a push-pull if you need to for a little better temp's.

You really need a shroud with a HC because your fans would just be flat on the core with-out one, you'd lose quite a bit of surface area. I have the best luck running a pull on HC's and other thick high fin per inch rad's.

Here are some pretty easy shrouds. A Bonnie is about like a 320 Swiftech rad going by Martins testing a couple of years ago.

How to make a dual heater core fan shroud...

How To: Build A Performance Shroud

Easy to make Shroud for the Bonnie

I'll leave you my set-up and cleaning guide, it's just how I do my rigs. Parts of it are getting dated, I think I added some notes to it, but the basic cleaning and set-up is still fine.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
i want your stinger >.<

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JE Nightmare View Post
i want your stinger >.<
I gave one away in a freebie here Christmas. I'll probably give another one away next Christmas.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
pretty sure i would have placed an order for mine by then.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Yeah fstfrddy still makes them.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
just gotta save the money for it now lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts