Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought...

Instead of having radiators in series... The way I see it, it it could be more efficient to have them in parallel? This is given the radiators are the identical size/maker/model etc

Am I right for thinking this?

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
I am assuming you mean in series?

One would expect the best efficiency could be gained by having a thin radiator with a lot of area. Therefore, radiators in parallel will dissipate heat faster than radiators in series.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi
View Post

I am assuming you mean in series?

One would expect the best efficiency could be gained by having a thin radiator with a lot of area. Therefore, radiators in parallel will dissipate heat faster than radiators in series.

Lol yeah, i put parallel twice, sorry

And yes, that was what I was thinking about.... I was considering doing a CPU and GPU loop that had radiators in parallel to reduce the radiator restriction while keeping heat dissipation performance very high

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX
View Post

Lol yeah, i put parallel twice, sorry

And yes, that was what I was thinking about.... I was considering doing a CPU and GPU loop that had radiators in parallel to reduce the radiator restriction while keeping heat dissipation performance very high

one one side, parallel reduces restriction, but on the other, if your coolant circulation velocity decreases enough, your flow will turn laminar, so youd need a good pump either way.
i'd just put em in series.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

one one side, parallel reduces restriction, but on the other, if your coolant circulation velocity decreases enough, your flow will turn laminar, so youd need a good pump either way.

How do you figure?

Laminar flow would be highly desirable in a coolant loop. It would eliminate stagnation and 0 velocity rotational points.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
I vote parallel.

I'll be testing out the parallel radiators here next weekend. Splitting the loop into A and B, each A and B hits a pump, goes into Rad A and Rad B, then join together just before hitting the CPU. Right now heat is not an issue since I mounted a triple rad outside - idle 10C load 32C (different project).

In the weeks to come I want to have both my main rigs on one large loop with 3 rads, 4 pumps, and a lotta blocks with many things in parallel.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
The water should go from the pump to the CPU to the GPU then spilt into 2 hoses and go to the radiators and then back to one hose and into the pump.

·
Banned
849 Posts
i'd say series..if they're arranged in parallel..the lowest restriction rad will have the most flow..while the other rad..will become stagnant...

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

How is that bad?... I see laminar flow only helping a radiator given flow is maintained

Quote:

View Post

How do you figure?

Laminar flow would be highly desirable in a coolant loop. It would eliminate stagnation and 0 velocity rotational points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

I vote parallel.

I'll be testing out the parallel radiators here next weekend. Splitting the loop into A and B, each A and B hits a pump, goes into Rad A and Rad B, then join together just before hitting the CPU. Right now heat is not an issue since I mounted a triple rad outside - idle 10C load 32C (different project).

In the weeks to come I want to have both my main rigs on one large loop with 3 rads, 4 pumps, and a lotta blocks with many things in parallel.

be sure to post links for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy
View Post

i would say parallel only and only if the restriction of your gpu block and your cpu block have around the same restriction. if you don't well one is going to get more flow than the other.

Why would anyone in their right mind put blocks of different restriction in parallel?
Anyhow I was going to leave blocks in series, rads in parallel. The only thing that makes any sense to have in parallel would be GPU blocks to reduce restriction from CPU block.

Quote:

View Post

The water should go from the pump to the CPU to the GPU then spilt into 2 hoses and go to the radiators and then back to one hose and into the pump.

Yup.

What I was thinking was more like this though.... CPU block split into two, identical GPU's in parallel then the outs of those GPU's go to a rad, then the rads combine back to one line to the res/pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondacity
View Post

i'd say series..if they're arranged in parallel..the lowest restriction rad will have the most flow..while the other rad..will become stagnant...

You have a habit of not reading

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
why would it make a difference whether it is parallel or in series? The water still passes through the same amount of surface area....

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX
View Post

How is that bad?... I see laminar flow only helping a radiator given flow is maintained

No first hand knowledge, but I would expect a laminar flow to have higher temps over a flow with a bit of turbulence.

Unless I don't understand the term laminar, it (the coolant) would, only be in contact with the radiator on the outside of the tube while there remains some water traveling in the middle. The tube of water would cool less the closer to the center of the radiator tube.

I thought it had to do with the "positioning" of the mass of water throughout the path.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuy50
View Post

why would it make a difference whether it is parallel or in series? The water still passes through the same amount of surface area....

less pressure drop per radiator.

putting them in parallel would ideally cut pressure drop in half. removing pressure drop from a rad will then yeild higher flow rates in the rest of the loop being the CPU and GPU blocks which should be the goal.

the idea behind parallel rads vs the same rads in series would be to increase flow rate of the rest of the water loop. your flow of Rad1+Rad2 will be greater than the flow of R1 in series with R2

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometoast
View Post

No first hand knowledge, but I would expect a laminar flow to have higher temps over a flow with a bit of turbulence.

Unless I don't understand the term laminar, it (the coolant) would, only be in contact with the radiator on the outside of the tube while there remains some water traveling in the middle. The tube of water would cool less the closer to the center of the radiator tube.

I thought it had to do with the "positioning" of the mass of water throughout the path.

Well given if the tubing of the radiator itself is in such a size (small) that it would disrupt laminar flow and you have a tension breaking agent, it would disrupt the "sticky" effect the water had on the radiator tubing. the GTX series rads have very small channels, while the relevance of preventing laminar flow, I still thing the overall flow + surfactant would overcome the downside of laminar flow

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
With parallel rads your halving your flow, plus adding restriction from more fittings.

With it being Y'ed back before the blocks and using identical rad's you wouldn't need to worry about balancing out your flow or anything, but you'll still be halving flow through your rads, the more flow through them the more turbulent your flow will be and the better cooling you should have..

I'd just try it in series and parallel and see which gives the best temp's.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Before this turns into pages and pages of theoretical physics...

SOMEONE TRY IT

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DO IT!

I dont have the means of testing anything as I won't have time to do excess testing until December vacation time

i got two identical 240 rads but my idea was not to do that with this setup, no way in hell

@Ira-k... I was going to suggest instead of a bunch of Y fittings, use existing components...

GPU full cover blocks are perfect for this.. you can use one inlet that will feed both blocks when set up right, then have both blocks with an outlet. Effectively producing two outlets from existing hardware. those outlets go to individual rads... Then the rads go back to a reservoir that has two inlets.... there you go! ZERO Y-adapters!

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

@Ira-k... I was going to suggest instead of a bunch of Y fittings, use existing components...

GPU full cover blocks are perfect for this.. you can use one inlet that will feed both blocks when set up right, then have both blocks with an outlet. Effectively producing two outlets from existing hardware. those outlets go to individual rads... Then the rads go back to a reservoir that has two inlets.... there you go! ZERO Y-adapters!

I cant quite visualize that, but just try it and see, its nothing thats going to make you run super hot, if it doesn't work out like you think it should just change it back..

Really when your just first starting out its good to try a lot of different config's till you see whats works the best for you..Its fun to...
...Plus you'll get your block mounting down, it usually takes most guys a little practice to start getting really good mounts..

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
turbulant flow gives off heat far faster, as not only water molecules on the edge of the flow, but from everywhere bump into the tube walls to transfer the energy.
turbulence is exacly something you want.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts