Overclock.net banner

[RAGE3D] 5970 + Kentsfield

3067 Views 45 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  xxbassplayerxx
Interesting seeing them use some old tech.

Quote:

The Radeon HD5970 really begins to shine when deployed against DX11 titles, with performance approaching the theoretical 72% increase in raw GPU power over the 5870. Finding several other titles being CPU limited in our QX6700 test system
, people with overclocked i5s or i7s may produce even faster results and, when combined with higher resolution screens and/or Eyefinity, the 5970's performance lead over the 5870 will only increase. In the coming weeks, we will look at how different platforms
impact the performance of these 5 series cards, specifically more Core 2 vs. i7 numbers.

Source
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
DX 11 results look good so far.
Awesome review. I think many people don't realize how much the CPU has to do with how much you can push the cards. Of course many reviewers don't push the limits either. They will leave it at 4XAA or 8XAA. Instead of recommending a 30" monitor why not recommend 16X AA if the card can handle it. This also takes workload away from the CPU.
Just a small OC bump results in 26% performance increase. The 5970 is a monster.
What I'm getting from this is that I can pick up something in a used 775 and still do just fine for 1080p. Awesome, that means I can instead put the cash towards an LED LCD.
Well crap. Seems my Q6600 isn't going to cut it after all.

I wish i7 prices would just drop already so I can pick myself up an X58 build.

EDIT: Review might be made of fail. Instead of being CPU limited, they seem to be bottlenecked by the fact that the Intel 975XBX2 only has PCI-E 1.1 slots.
See less See more
Lulz for PCI-E 1.1 tests telling people it's "CPU LIMITED" when it's really bottlenecked by the architecture. Try it on a p45 can?

________
Anice
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticZero View Post
Well crap. Seems my Q6600 isn't going to cut it after all.

I wish i7 prices would just drop already so I can pick myself up an X58 build.

EDIT: Review might be made of fail. Instead of being CPU limited, they seem to be bottlenecked by the fact that the Intel 975XBX2 only has PCI-E 1.1 slots.
Your Q6600 is fine. No need to rush out and get a new proc. My Pentium4 2.6c w/3850AGP ran COD4 at 40fps (constant) and SF4 PC at ~55fps.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL View Post
Your Q6600 is fine. No need to rush out and get a new proc. My Pentium4 2.6c w/3850AGP ran COD4 at 40fps (constant) and SF4 PC at ~55fps.
AGP 8x. Nuff said.
________
Sandra18
See less See more
Way to remind me that my system is outdated...
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnishimura00
View Post

Not necessarily. They tested the card on a PCI-Express 1.1 board. I've yet to see reviews of the card spring up from a P45/x48.

http://www.intel.com/Products/Deskto...X-overview.htm

Further information on the chipset they have. See no mention of PCI-E 2.0?

________
HOW TO ROLL A JOINT
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

No need for you to upgrade because if you want to have a core i7 performance just crank up the AA and AF which u should do with that card.
Edit: The more AA and AF and the higher resolution they go the more the PCIE will be limited. Its like they dont understand that concept.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

By who's standards? I see a perfectly capable rig.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

You have a good rig for today's games
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

That makes mine positively ancient, right?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

No need for you to upgrade because if you want to have a core i7 performance just crank up the AA and AF which u should do with that card.
Edit: The more AA and AF and the higher resolution they go the more the PCIE will be limited. Its like they dont understand that concept.

Yup. I got an i7 for a really good deal, mobo + cpu came out to 300$
thanx to a friend working at a computer store. But honestly, i had a e6600 that i oced to 3.6ghz and im barely noticing higher results in fps in games i play from my old e6600 vs this i7, i mean yes there are increases, but as everyone said, more aa and the difference is basicly unseen, now my 4890 cant max out ALL games so cpu still matters, but with me planning on getting a 5970, i now wish id rather spend the money i spent on my i7 rig, instead put it towards a 5970.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

Depends on what standards you go by. Staying "updated" is financially and time consuming.
See less See more
This guys brain is "CPU limited".

Seriously, could he say it some more??

Anyways, 5970 = Win
As awesome as this is(which it is) i think phenom II owners will need to upgrade.
And why is that? An imaginary bottleneck that doesn't affect a damn thing anyways?
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.