Votes: 5 100.0%
  • RAID 10

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working like a zillion hours of overtime since mid November. Hey, if they want to pay me time and a half for two extra shifts a week I'm all for it! Although I am getting a little tired and cranky. I sure could use a day off, but the money's been great!

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll blow some of those big bucks I'm making on a RAID. I just can't decide in which direction I want to go.

I had originally thought about RAID1, lately I've been thinking, "Screw it, I'm going RAID0." Now I'm considering either RAID0+1 or RAID10. But I'm not sure which is faster.

I am aware that I probably don't need a RAID of any kind. HDs are pretty reliable these days. Raptors? I think they are out of the question. Just a bit too pricey for my blood. Okay, I could afford one.

Got any thoughts on this?

RAID 0+1
RAID 10

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
RAID 0+1 and RAID 10 are pretty much the same. Or at least that's what my dad says, and he worked as a sales dude for IBM for a long time. He knows practically everything about various computer techs.

EDIT: Sorry, scratch what I said above. I looked at those pages. RAID 0+1 all the way. I guess my dad wasn't completely knowledgable about RAID. Unless the site is wrong.

• Rep+
Reactions: rennix

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
RAID 0+1 with Raptors... insane speed plus data security, can't get better than that.

• Rep+
Reactions: rennix

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Four Raptors? You know I'm not going to go with 75 gig drives. Four 150 gig Raptors at $280 each is, well, too much. It's going to be hard enough to talk myself into loosening the purse strings enough to get four 160 gig 7200 rpm SATA drives.

According to WD's website the 7200s are 4 Db quieter than the Raptors, that's something to consider.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a lot of thought on this, I've decided that I'm going with RAID 10. Speed is a factor, but I'm more concerned with redundancy.

Thanks to all that have responded, reps to all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts