Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have a ryzen system built around a B350M mortar MATX board,

i was just wondering can i run Raid 0 on my 850pro and on 2 HDDs at the same time?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
You can't run a raid array on a single drive, you need at least two.

So, the answer is yes if you motherboard supports it. See your Owner's Manual.

But, be aware that you can't create a bootable Raid 0 after Windows is installed, In order for a RAID 0 drive to be bootable, you have to set up the raid during a Windows install. There are work arounds, but if you have to ask about them, then you don't want to go there.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

You can't run a raid array on a single drive, you need at least two.

So, the answer is yes if you motherboard supports it. See your Owner's Manual.

But, be aware that you can't create a bootable Raid 0 after Windows is installed, In order for a RAID 0 drive to be bootable, you have to set up the raid during a Windows install. There are work arounds, but if you have to ask about them, then you don't want to go there.
im aware i need 2 drives for raid.

thats why im looking to buy another 256gb 850 pro and 2 3tb hdds.

either taht or do i go M.2 NVME?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
If you set up a Raid array with two different drives (different speeds and/or sizes) the array will use the size of the smallest and the speed of the slowest.. So you'd would need to buy two M.2 NVME drives to take advantage if their increased speed.

You can set up two arrays though. One with identical spinners and one with identical SSDs.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

If you set up a Raid array with two different drives (different speeds and/or sizes) the array will use the size of the smallest and the speed of the slowest.. So you'd would need to buy two M.2 NVME drives to take advantage if their increased speed.

You can set up two arrays though. One with identical spinners and one with identical SSDs.
thats what i was wondering.

im going to setup 2 3TB HDDs in Raid0,

and im working out if im better off with 2x 256GB 850pro Sata SSD in raid 0 vs 1 NVME ssd.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
I didn't ask earlier, but are you going to be putting anything that's hard to replace on these arrays? Like are any of these arrays going to be used for storage or backup?.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Pete View Post

thats what i was wondering.

im going to setup 2 3TB HDDs in Raid0,

and im working out if im better off with 2x 256GB 850pro Sata SSD in raid 0 vs 1 NVME ssd.
Better for what?

General use or for gaming, no point going RAID 0 at all. Just get a single NVME SSD and use your current SSD for backup or extra storage.

I'd run RAID 5 or RAID10 before I went RAID 0 with an SSD. The gains for most use cases on SSDs/NVME drives in RAID 0 are so small it's not really worth it unless you're moving tons of data around constantly.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

Better for what?

General use or for gaming, no point going RAID 0 at all. Just get a single NVME SSD and use your current SSD for backup or extra storage.

I'd run RAID 5 or RAID10 before I went RAID 0 with an SSD. The gains for most use cases on SSDs/NVME drives in RAID 0 are so small it's not really worth it unless you're moving tons of data around constantly.
will be an OS drive, along with PS/vegas/ vid editigin, i spose i could use the 850 as a scratch disc. hmm

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

Better for what?

nothing major, steam/bluerayrips/etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts