·
Hardware Maniac
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
redface.gif

Cant find info on google so im back here
biggrin.gif

Do the z97 chipset will handle 3-4x 250 samsung ssd in raid 0 ? And give decent output?

Just looking to have instant game loading hehe
drool.gif
Installed bf2 an old game and realised that my 512gb load the map in like 5 second. it took me like 3 minute + back in the days
biggrin.gif

Would be nice to reduce loading in bf3 bf4 gta v and arma 3 etc

smile.gif

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonami2 View Post

Hello
redface.gif

Cant find info on google so im back here
biggrin.gif

Do the z97 chipset will handle 3-4x 250 samsung ssd in raid 0 ? And give decent output?
Just looking to have instant game loading hehe
drool.gif
Installed bf2 an old game and realised that my 512gb load the map in like 5 second. it took me like 3 minute + back in the days
biggrin.gif

Would be nice to reduce loading in bf3 bf4 gta v and arma 3 etc
smile.gif
Why daisy chain several SSDs, when just one really fast SSD will do the job..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K3G96790

·
Hardware Maniac
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
441 Posts
it should. My x79 could do 3-4x raid 0. I think on linus videos you start to lose speed after the 3rd one already. So 2x in raid is good, 3x if you're rich. If you can afford 3x raid 0 samsung 850 evo. You could also look into a ups for your computer and do 64gb ram and use 32-48gb as ram cache using softwares like primocache. Sure m.2 is fast or 2 in raid 0 is fast if you have two of them but yea the ram cache will eat them for breakfast.

Here's a fellow z97 using it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooRules View Post

You are benching your ram, not your ssds.
smile.gif
He want's fast loading time. I'm just showing him alternatives to 3-4X raid 0. It's probably the best alternative besides buying a new x99 with raid 0 m.2 option.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are m.2 pcie adapters on the market like Lycom DT120 on x4. Raid0 with ssds is not that rewarding, but just for games you can try them for sure.

·
Hardware Maniac
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i would stick with msata

But i think it would prevent me from crossfire.

redface.gif

·
Hardware Maniac
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post

Msata will not stop crossfire but m.2 might, depending on your mobo config
Uh i wanted to says m2. My error ahha

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've been checking out the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 MB
When the M.2 slot is used, SATA 5 & 6 will not work, but it does not say anything about the PCI-E Express 3.0 slots being effected when the M.2 slot is being used.
You might want to email MSI's tech support and ask them if the PCI-E 3.0 slot are effected when the M.2 is being used.
Using just one M.2 card will be so much easier (and cheaper) then try to RAID 3 or 4 SSD drives.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As m.2 port takes 4 lanes it usually disables the last slot. As you can see in details at the pcie 3.0 possible combinations it shows as 16 0 0 / 8 8 0 / 8 4 4. Using the m.2 would be the last option 8 4 4 with the last 4 lanes given to the m.2 slot. So what is left would be 8 and 4 lanes making crossfire possible but not SLI.

·
Hardware Maniac
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great thank you
smile.gif

Well it seem im gonna stick with ssd. No idea if M2 with my 4.7 4790k and 2400 ram.. Would have a benefit in game loading time.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
to answer your question without trying to push you in some other direction that you arent asking about. it looks like your z97 would support a 6 drive array without any further modification due to the fact that 6 ports come direct from the chipset and only the remaining 2 come from the ASmedia controller.
Quote:
On-Board SATA

• Intel Z97 Express Chipset
- 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports (SATA1~6)
- 1x M.2 port*
- M.2 port supports M.2 SATA 6Gb/s module
- M.2 port supports M.2 PCIe module up to 10Gb/s speed**
- M.2 port supports 4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length module
- Supports RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10***
- Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology and Intel® Smart Connect Technology****
I could see this handling fine

·
Registered
118 Posts
Depends on the board if the M.2 takes any lanes at all.
Be careful about blanket statements like this as all motherboards are not equal.

I have an Asus Z97Pro-WiFi (a/c) that offers 2x PCIe Slots if I use a PCIe based M.2, otherwise it's SATA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts