·
Hardware Maniac
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
redface.gif

Cant find info on google so im back here
biggrin.gif

Do the z97 chipset will handle 3-4x 250 samsung ssd in raid 0 ? And give decent output?

Just looking to have instant game loading hehe
drool.gif
Installed bf2 an old game and realised that my 512gb load the map in like 5 second. it took me like 3 minute + back in the days
biggrin.gif

Would be nice to reduce loading in bf3 bf4 gta v and arma 3 etc

smile.gif

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonami2 View Post

Hello
redface.gif

Cant find info on google so im back here
biggrin.gif

Do the z97 chipset will handle 3-4x 250 samsung ssd in raid 0 ? And give decent output?
Just looking to have instant game loading hehe
drool.gif
Installed bf2 an old game and realised that my 512gb load the map in like 5 second. it took me like 3 minute + back in the days
biggrin.gif

Would be nice to reduce loading in bf3 bf4 gta v and arma 3 etc
smile.gif
Why daisy chain several SSDs, when just one really fast SSD will do the job..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K3G96790

·
Hardware Maniac
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
445 Posts
it should. My x79 could do 3-4x raid 0. I think on linus videos you start to lose speed after the 3rd one already. So 2x in raid is good, 3x if you're rich. If you can afford 3x raid 0 samsung 850 evo. You could also look into a ups for your computer and do 64gb ram and use 32-48gb as ram cache using softwares like primocache. Sure m.2 is fast or 2 in raid 0 is fast if you have two of them but yea the ram cache will eat them for breakfast.

Here's a fellow z97 using it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've been checking out the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 MB
When the M.2 slot is used, SATA 5 & 6 will not work, but it does not say anything about the PCI-E Express 3.0 slots being effected when the M.2 slot is being used.
You might want to email MSI's tech support and ask them if the PCI-E 3.0 slot are effected when the M.2 is being used.
Using just one M.2 card will be so much easier (and cheaper) then try to RAID 3 or 4 SSD drives.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As m.2 port takes 4 lanes it usually disables the last slot. As you can see in details at the pcie 3.0 possible combinations it shows as 16 0 0 / 8 8 0 / 8 4 4. Using the m.2 would be the last option 8 4 4 with the last 4 lanes given to the m.2 slot. So what is left would be 8 and 4 lanes making crossfire possible but not SLI.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
to answer your question without trying to push you in some other direction that you arent asking about. it looks like your z97 would support a 6 drive array without any further modification due to the fact that 6 ports come direct from the chipset and only the remaining 2 come from the ASmedia controller.
Quote:
On-Board SATA

• Intel Z97 Express Chipset
- 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports (SATA1~6)
- 1x M.2 port*
- M.2 port supports M.2 SATA 6Gb/s module
- M.2 port supports M.2 PCIe module up to 10Gb/s speed**
- M.2 port supports 4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length module
- Supports RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10***
- Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology and Intel® Smart Connect Technology****
I could see this handling fine

·
Registered
176 Posts
Depends on the board if the M.2 takes any lanes at all.
Be careful about blanket statements like this as all motherboards are not equal.

I have an Asus Z97Pro-WiFi (a/c) that offers 2x PCIe Slots if I use a PCIe based M.2, otherwise it's SATA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.