Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am wondering if it worth getting another 250gig hdd or just get a raptor for windows and games

i don't really think i will need a raptor

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you go raid0 I suggest you have a 3rd disk inthe rig to store all important data.It is not a must but when you have an issue it will be a god send..

SO if money is an issue get a raptor and use the 250 for storage.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
raptors are fast, but if you also need LOTS of space go RAID 0

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Raid 0 is no faster than a single SATA drive best bet is a Raptor 74 gig and for the o/s and Apps that are used on a daily basis and the 250 gig for everything else that is important .Im using a raid 0 array now .It,s 2 seconds faster on boot and 3 seconds faster to load cod2 .But the raptor will beat that with out being in raid .

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Raid 0 is must faster than a raptor. The 74gig raptor is about 60mb average speed while 2 sata 8meg drives in Raid 0 will be around 93mb average. I have an 80gig IDE external for storing files, but Raid 0 is just as risky as one drive for data loss. The only thing is that you now have to rely on two drives instead of one. I have Raid 0 and I love it, its one of the best upgrades I've ever done to my computer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigval
Raid 0 is must faster than a raptor. The 74gig raptor is about 60mb average speed while 2 sata 8meg drives in Raid 0 will be around 93mb average. I have an 80gig IDE external for storing files, but Raid 0 is just as risky as one drive for data loss. The only thing is that you now have to rely on two drives instead of one. I have Raid 0 and I love it, its one of the best upgrades I've ever done to my computer.
Having 2 drives instead of 1 is only a visual difference.In raid zero the data is split in half not copied identically to each drive and therefore there is 100% no way to recover data.

On a single drive data is stored hole and data can be removed from it usually no matter what caused the problem.

Thats why i say if you raid0 have a basic drive for data storage

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am thinking about raid 0 is cheaper then a raptor i can buy another 80gig hdd for storage to

only things i don't wanna loss is all my mp3 and tv shows ive collected

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=2101&p=5

Heres a comparison from Anandtech using Raptors. In the conclusion:

"If you haven't gotten the hint by now, we'll spell it out for you: there is no place, and no need for a RAID-0 array on a desktop computer. The real world performance increases are negligible at best and the reduction in reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time between failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it on the desktop."

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Yeah, but who cares? A doubling in some cases with RAI0 compared to a single raptor, my 2 Seagate 120GB SATA 3.0GB/S drives are almost in-line with 2 Raptors in RAID0. They beat the single one by about double, if not more. By far, it's a much better performance increase over a single Raptor.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a raid array, and my burst speeds are 300MB/s and average read is 90MB/s

Personally i would go for RAID-0

But raptors have their advantages too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hrm - that article on anandtech IS dated June 2004 - quite a lot could change in what is fast becoming two years ago

This is a useful thread, I was thinking of getting RAID0, but it really doesn't look so useful now.

So how about RAID5, eh?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well buying a raptor or another 250gig plus 120gig(for backup) would work out at the same price i really need more space ive already used 210gig

·
Banned
658 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal_TE_Gaydar

Hrm - that article on anandtech IS dated June 2004 - quite a lot could change in what is fast becoming two years ago

This is a useful thread, I was thinking of getting RAID0, but it really doesn't look so useful now.

So how about RAID5, eh?

Raid 5 is nice but keep in mind most raid 5 controlers will rewrite and remover your boot sector and personally I would make sure I had 4 drives instead of the minimal 3 just to make sure it was worth the trouble for the setup.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i made my mind up am going to buy 2 new 120gig sata II and raid them and use my 250gig for backup and more

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
The article may be from 2004, but it uses the raptors (which haven't changed signifigantly since). The raid controllers and drivers may be slightly updated but the premise behind the benefits that RAID brings remains the same. I had raided raptors and single raptors and benched them every way possible. Considering, my main system is primarily for gaming, I saw very quickly that there was no benefit at all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think using Raid0 is subjective to the person doing the review..Here look at this link. http://www.digitalelements.org/index...op=show&rid=21
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Raid0

Sure shows raid0 pounding out the performance.Additionally for any one to say unconditionally that raid0 offers no performace increase is ignoring how it works.Basically you are splitting a program in half, 1/2 to one disk 1/2 to the other and as you add more disks to the aray the data is brokem down into smaller parts.

Essentially what you get is full disk speeds when accessing data and each disk has a lot less data to deal with because of the splitting of data..So in theroy and as it should when you apply this to the desk top there is a performance increase.Is it massive ? Is it ground shattering ? No but there is a performance increase and for an overclocker lookig for every bit of speed they can muster it is worth while to do.

Just be SURE to have a dedicated storage solution for important files and data that is kept off the array

1 - 18 of 18 Posts