Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to have the exact same hard drives to have a raid 0 setup? I have a WD1600YS and a WD 1601ABYS and was wondering what is the difference between the two and will there be any problems if I put them in raid 0?
 

·
The Computer Guy
Joined
·
6,488 Posts
the thing is about using 2 different hd's.is 1 could have 16 mb cache & the other could have 8mb cache.what i mean is.they will run at the lowest cache.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well they both have the same amount of cache (16mb) and from what I can see the only difference is the 1601ABYS is a revision of the first one. They're both 160gb so I guess I should just go ahead and setup raid 0. I was worried that since they were different model numbers that maybe one had more platters or something and that could have an effect on performance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
im running a WD1600JD and a WD1600AAJS with the main different being the first is sata 1.0 and and the second is sata 2.0, and im still seeing 100MB/s writes and 150-250MB/s reads
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
quick question here since were talking about RAID0 Although I'm pretty sure I cant but Im going to ask to be sure, I cant take my raided raptorX 150GB drives out of my evga 780I board and add them to my new X58 SLI under RAID0 and retain my original data can I? I'd have to rebuild it and that would mean I'd lose the data on the 2 raptors that I previously has in the old setup..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ashleymom
View Post

can someone point me to a place where i can find a "quick & easy" guide to setting up RAID0? please!! thanks guys!

On what kind of motherboard/OS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ghozt302
View Post

quick question here since were talking about RAID0 Although I'm pretty sure I cant but Im going to ask to be sure, I cant take my raided raptorX 150GB drives out of my evga 780I board and add them to my new X58 SLI under RAID0 and retain my original data can I? I'd have to rebuild it and that would mean I'd lose the data on the 2 raptors that I previously has in the old setup..

Buy a storage drive to hold all of your important data. You're going to have to wipe those drives to put them in the new mobo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Desidero
View Post

Buy a storage drive to hold all of your important data. You're going to have to wipe those drives to put them in the new mobo.

yeah I have plenty of storage space, like 3TB or so but I've already dissembled my old system and forgot about some data on my raid0 that was in it. So I guess when I move the 2 Raptor X drive's the raid will be broken and need to be rebuilt when I place them on my X58 SLI, thus losing the data..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ghozt302
View Post

On what kind of motherboard/OS?

we are using windows XP over here... and the motherboard is ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5B-E Rev 1.xx

is that enough info??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,605 Posts
if you are using xp then you will need to use the drivers that came with your mobo to install raid during the xp install,it will tell you to prees F6 to install third party drivers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
usually you install you 2 drives then set in the bios to have those 2 sata ports you have the drives connected to set to (RAID)
After you restart it should show a prompt after the initial startup screen to enter the raid setup, from there choose your 2 drives and raid 0 from the menu.

If you are going to install your OS to these drives you will need to have a floppy hand with raid drivers that you can download from the motherboard manufacturers website and the windows setup will prompt you to hit F6 to install them early on in the setup. When finished make sure you set your HDD boot order to boot from the raid if it contains your OS.

**If you already have XP installed on 1 of the drives you will lose everything on it, so make backups of your data, same goes for the second drive your putting in the raid.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleymom View Post
can someone point me to a place where i can find a "quick & easy" guide to setting up RAID0? please!! thanks guys!
Usually either your motherboard manual or the manufacturers website.
Asus has a great guide for setting up RAID in their manuals. Shows all the screens at every step.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by x2s3w4 View Post
Usually either your motherboard manual or the manufacturers website.
Asus has a great guide for setting up RAID in their manuals. Shows all the screens at every step.

thank you guys so much!!! all of you help me so quickly and anytime i need it.. thanks!!!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top