Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting up friends computer and wanted to raid 0 his two drives. Did the array in the raid settings and enabled it in bios and array1 is boot first priority. However it is only showing 1tb and I have a 1tb and 500gb hdd connected.

Is there limits on some bios drivers? Or something I am just forgetting?

Thanks for any advise.

Asus M4A78 pro MB

Samsung F3 1tb

WD 500gb

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's normal. With RAID0, all the HDs have to be of equal size. If you use HDs of different size, the controller will manage the HD as of the same size (and the size is the size of the smaller hd).

So: 2x500g = 1 TB.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by pippolo
View Post

It's normal. With RAID0, all the HDs have to be of equal size. If you use HDs of different size, the controller will manage the HD as of the same size (and the size is the size of the smaller hd).

So: 2x500g = 1 TB.

So in my case would it be worth even using the 500gb? Or just the Samsung F3 1tb by itself?

·
Registered
391 Posts
if you use both (in raid0), half of the Samsung is lost (500).
If you use them as single, you can use all the space but them are slower.

Remember that raid0 is faster with transfer rates, but the access time will remain the same. My suggestion is to use them as separate hd (use one for the OS and the other as data storage).

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stangcharger View Post
So in my case would it be worth even using the 500gb? Or just the Samsung F3 1tb by itself?
I agree with pippolo - use them separate.

They're mismatched. You'll probably get a better speed boost from using one as an OS drive, and the other as a games drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts