Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Intel 730 240GB drives in Raid 0. I’ve been considering a Intel 760p or Samsung 970 M.2 drives (Samsung reliability does have me nervous). Just curious if I’ll actually see a real world difference. I’ve been having trouble finding benchmark comparisons, or at least the same benchmark of both drives.

Thoughts?

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,753 Posts
Small random reads and writes will not improve with RAID 0. They will be the same as a single drive. They will be much faster with an nvme m.2 than an SSD.

Whether or not that would be noticeable to you or worth it to you is hard to say.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small random reads and writes will not improve with RAID 0. They will be the same as a single drive. They will be much faster with an nvme m.2 than an SSD.

Whether or not that would be noticeable to you or worth it to you is hard to say.
It’s not that I care a ton but I’ve never had good boot times. The RAID takes a good chunk of time during boot. I wish I knew if I’d notice a daily speed increase.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,753 Posts
Hmm, sorry I seem to have read yyour post backwards. I used to have 2 SSD in IRST RAID 0 and never noticed a slower boot, and I have booted with both SSD RAID 0, Single SSD, and m.2 NVME drive. Maybe it is something else? Are you EFI booting with GPT? That makes a big difference.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I wouldn't expect a NVMe SSD to be noticeably faster than AHCI SSDs in RAID. I've also never heard of reliability issues associated with Samsung SSDs.

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
I wouldn't expect a NVMe SSD to be noticeably faster than AHCI SSDs in RAID. I've also never heard of reliability issues associated with Samsung SSDs.
Samsung has had a lot of firmware bugs over the years:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8617...e-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug
https://techreport.com/news/28473/some-samsung-ssds-may-suffer-from-a-buggy-trim-implementation
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Memory-Storage/960-pro-firmware-3B6QCXP7-its-a-crap/td-p/217627

That may be explained in part by their marketshare though rather than something Samsung has done. More drives means more opportunities to find bugs.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I'm not sure if I would classify a firmware bug as a reliability issue unless it's causing drives to fail prematurely. The primary benefit from going RAID 0 AHCI SSDs to a single NVMe SSD is giving yourself room for additional hardware. The 970 PRO or EVO would be substantially faster than the AHCI RAID array, but you're probably not going to notice the performance difference in daily tasks. You would probably only be able to notice during drive-intensive tasks. With how affordable NVMe SSDs are getting, they're definitely worth consideration for a boot drive.

The 500GB 970 EVO is currently $199.99 at B&H. It's the same price at Newegg but is currently out of stock. It's available for the same price on Amazon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts