Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my 500GB Samsung EVO SSD and I plan on doing a rebuild/reformat soon and I thought about upgrading my storage SSD wise, and instead of me buying a 1TB SSD and having this one as a waste I figured just buy another 500GB EVO and Raid 0 them.

Now I dont have the money burning a whole in my pocket (The extra $200ish for the EVO) but it come across my mind because I try and keep the re-formats I have to do to a minimum. What would be a guestimate at the speed increase id get from RAID 0'ing 2 Samsung 500GB EVO's? Would it be worth it?

I know that a subjective question but these SSD's would be for my OS and most frequent applications/games, such as Photoshop, After Affects, Premiere, coding applications (like codeblocks, notepad++ for college), streaming application such as OBS, then of course games like League of Legends, CSGO, Hearthstone, latest triple A titles I'm playing so like Star Wars Battlefront and Fallout 4 now.

So I think it might be worth doing it because I do believe my Adobe applications would take advantage of the quicker read writes no? Here is also the SSD.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think you would be best served by not using raid. Very few applications where the R0 would be of any tangible benefit to you. An ssd for OS and another for storage would be the way to go i think for you.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklez View Post

So I have my 500GB Samsung EVO SSD and I plan on doing a rebuild/reformat soon and I thought about upgrading my storage SSD wise, and instead of me buying a 1TB SSD and having this one as a waste I figured just buy another 500GB EVO and Raid 0 them.

Now I dont have the money burning a whole in my pocket (The extra $200ish for the EVO) but it come across my mind because I try and keep the re-formats I have to do to a minimum. What would be a guestimate at the speed increase id get from RAID 0'ing 2 Samsung 500GB EVO's? Would it be worth it?

I know that a subjective question but these SSD's would be for my OS and most frequent applications/games, such as Photoshop, After Affects, Premiere, coding applications (like codeblocks, notepad++ for college), streaming application such as OBS, then of course games like League of Legends, CSGO, Hearthstone, latest triple A titles I'm playing so like Star Wars Battlefront and Fallout 4 now.

So I think it might be worth doing it because I do believe my Adobe applications would take advantage of the quicker read writes no? Here is also the SSD.
I use three samsung 850 evo 500gb in Raid0. On my last built I used six 128gb crucial M4 in raid0. While yes there are really few desktop usage benefits, there are no drawback either. I have not had a problem yet and have been running both setups, the newer one for two months and the former for two years + off the motherboard, both gigabyte gaming 7's.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,970 Posts
Sure, why not. You get double the sequential bandwidth, twice the capacity, and you only suffer a little in randoms (using Intel Rapid Storage). As opposed to paying a lot more for a 1TB? Why wouldn't you?

The only other disadvantage is that is you have twice the probability of a disk failure, but with SSD now that probability is quite low, so as long as you back up ...

I faced the same decision smaller Samsung 840 SSD and went with 2x raid 0. I first used them as OS, but now they are relegated to games and some backups - both of which benefit from the raid.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have been running raid 0 on my Corsair gt 120 ssd's for 3 years now and I have some notes:

1. Make sure it supports trim while in raid 0
2. Plan on losing everything on the os when you want to upgrade motherboards. (The next motherboard might not support the same controller)
3. If one fails they both fail.

Thats it. I haven't had any issues considering I keep my important stuff in the cloud and on a seperate hdd. The performance is sick, and is noticeably different than running 1 ssd.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,970 Posts
It speeds up my backups and game loads, so it is of benefit for these situations, which are not neglible.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have 2 SSD systems.
One with 2x 128gb SSD in raid for the OS ect using a hybrid & 7200's as storage/backup the other with 2x 1tb SSD with a 2tb hybrid... one SSD for OS ect the other for games and the hybrid as backup/storage. No real advantage or disadvantage either way for me.

Personally if I redo the the base (2x 128gb SSD) box I'll just go non-raid on it and use it as network box to store all my stuff on the other drives although I have so many drives around I'll never fill them all.

SS

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

It is worthless for consumers.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1500862/1-single-ssd-vs-2-ssd-raid-0/0_50

Please read this thread as its thoroughly explained by DuckieHo

tl;dr consumer workloads arent enough to warrant raid 0, its basically double the risk of losing your data no benefit save for benchmarks.
Can you please state what the rate of losing your data on an SSD is?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklez View Post

I was strapped for money, I needed extra space quick at a cheap price so I added in a second Samsung 128GB 840 Pro and went Raid0 32k strip with updated bios/uefi intel orom modified for 32k strip More info: http://www.overclock.net/t/1244232/asus-asrock-msi-gigabyte-bioss-with-updated-raid-orom Only problems I've ran into are for dual booting win7 & linux in raid 0 "grub problem" Might be different for your chipset. . More Info: http://www.overclock.net/t/1574960/solved-need-help-to-all-linux-gurus

Use Macrium free and do monthly or weekly backups or daily if you like.

I believe it is well worth it if you keep regular backups of the os.

Edit:

Also, a UPS Power Supply is never a bad idea to use. Could save the raid array from any harm from an improper shutdown.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,970 Posts
Exactly what I did, bought a second 840 pro, raided them, and use macium reflect to back them up.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,970 Posts
Haha, I was just looking for that article!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Even at the end of the article from Tomshardware they basically say better off with single drive for vast majority of users.

Depending upon budget and mobo a 950 pro is the best of both worlds right now. Faster that any single drive or two drive raid 0 setup that I aware of.
smile.gif

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooRules View Post

Even at the end of the article from Tomshardware they basically say better off with single drive for vast majority of users.

Depending upon budget and mobo a 950 pro is the best of both worlds right now. Faster that any single drive or two drive raid 0 setup that I aware of.
smile.gif
The OP was looking at buying another 500GB and raid them for a 1TB instead of purchasing a 1TB, saving money. What the article indicates is that he would not loose any performance if he did so, and would gain in sequential performance for loading games, making backups, etc. It makes economic sense to do it in this situation.

If it were starting from scratch or upgrading toa more performant 1TB SSD , a new 1TB would be more sensible.

The only hangup I can see is if the motherboard BIOS has a firmware version of Intel RST that supports TRIM in RAID 0. If that is not the case, he could mod the BIOS. Failing TRIM support I would go with the 1TB.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Any 7 series chipset or later allows for trim in raid 0. Just need an 11 series or higher IRST driver and trim should be working.

As for raid or no raid I don't think you would see much difference either way really. Both have their own advantages and the only real drawback to a raid setup is if the raid fails for some reason. But if you have backups then that is not an issue either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts