Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been tasked with setting up a Dell Powervault MD1200 with a R610 server. After setting up 12 4TB drives in the MD1200, setting up RAID 50, I'm getting only about 29.1TB of usable space. I should be getting about 36-37. I can't figure what I'm doing wrong here. I'm configuring the PERC 800 during bootup to initialize the drives but I keep getting 29TB. Anyone have any insights as to why this is happening? Any feedback or anecdotal contributions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-M

·
Typo Elemental
3,223 Posts
Hey guys, I've been tasked with setting up a Dell Powervault MD1200 with a R610 server. After setting up 12 4TB drives in the MD1200, setting up RAID 50, I'm getting only about 29.1TB of usable space. I should be getting about 36-37. I can't figure what I'm doing wrong here. I'm configuring the PERC 800 during bootup to initialize the drives but I keep getting 29TB. Anyone have any insights as to why this is happening? Any feedback or anecdotal contributions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-M
Hey man, I have a theory of what is going on here.

The first thing I want to address is how the drives are marketed. Usually, hard drives are sold by measuring the space using base10. Bytes -> Kilobytes is actually converted by a factor of 1024, but are marketed by a factor of 1000.

The second thing, typically, a raid 50 configuration is configured like what you see on the left: x3 raid 5's that are striped together. (Like what I have shown on the left side of the chart)
So I converted the values to "real" Terabytes, and summed together each array.

So my theory is that your raid 50 is actually configured in x4 RAID 5 configuration. (Like what I have shown on the right side of the chart)

You will probably need to check your RAID controller to confirm this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts