Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my server decided that its RAID6 array is going to fail. I have no idea why its failed, but two drives now have reported as such, the original one I pulled out and the brand new replacement drive. Both say failed, and unfortunately the RAID software isn't the best, and doesn't tell me why.

So I was intending on pulling all 9 of these 3TB drives, individually testing them, and getting them back together (somehow) and rebuilding my server back up. I'm going to lose some information, but nothing vital. I'm using an Adaptec 5805z RAID card, and the cables that came with it.

Any suggestions on what I should do with 8x 3TB drives to maximize storage, but also hopefully not lose any data in the event of a small failure? I have 9 drives total, but I try to keep one as a spare just in case, but I can use all 9 with the right idea. Should I just go ahead and build up a new RAID6 array? Is there something better that I could use with software? What about an OS (was going to use Server 2016)?

EDIT:
Also I'd like to know what you guys think has failed, if anybody has used these RAID setups. The original drive that "failed", passed every test I could throw at it with Seatools (dunno if that's still an applicable testing program or not, but that's what I used).

·
Storage Nut
21,109 Posts
That's strange. All the SMART data reports as good? I'd do some full disk writes with CCleaner or HDTune or something and check the smart data with Crystal Disk Info after to make sure things are good.

I currently am using stable bit drive pool in my 24 bay server with 8x 8TB drives, some 2, 3, and 4TB drives. I got over 100TB usable. I don't use RAID anymore. I just have an HBA and expander. Drive pool offers file/folder duplication. Recently I had a drive fail that i didn't configure duplication on, but I was lucky enough to recover everything but two movies. Now I'm looking into getting SNAP RAID working with it, but I've not had the time yet. If you have a smaller file folder you can duplicate it easily as many time as you want. Drive pool does it on its own once you configure it. It isn't the most optimized way to ensure your data doesn't get lost, but it works great in my use. My backup folder is duplicated x2 on my server as well as a few smaller, but also important 100-500GB folders.

https://stablebit.com/drivepool

If I were you I'd start looking into UnRAID maybe. That's what I have been looking to possibly migrate over to and set up one day if I have the time.

https://lime-technology.com

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
This may be of no use, but sometimes I have found seatools to pick up on a failed drive before the other software suggested. I've since changed ours from RAID 6 to RAID 10 and noticed only benefits so far. Funnily enough over the last few failures we have had, over half of them were 3tb Seagate drives, which I found strange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts