Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend me a decent 8-12 port raid card that supports RAID 0,1,5 and 10 that will allow everything to run at full speed when using Western Digital RED's, thanks in advance

· Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
@OP

What will be the purpose of this card, and what operating system will be driving it?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raid 0, raid 10, Windows 10 for now

· Mr.4way SLI
5,477 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
LSI (Broadcom) 9311-8i is very well for Raid 0, it is a host bus adapter. Use 9341-8i for other than Raid 0 options, but it has no cache. 9361-8i is better because it has 1 or 2 GB cache, but more expensive.

LSI cards do not use onboard cache with Raid 0 option as you know. But they are loosing their excitement nowadays. There started to appear 2 to 4 unit M.2 Raid on card adapters, without cables, much faster speed, much lower power consumption etc.

· Cyberpunk & Mainframes
1,482 Posts
Isn’t software RAID massively slower then hardware?
It really depends on what layer and level you're doing it at and for what purpose. If we're talking about bulk storage, software RAID will ALWAYS be better in my mind, ALWAYS. If I'm trying to RAID0 or RAID1 two NVMe drives then there's several ways to RAID it and each one has an advantage and disadvantage.

Hardware RAID wise you can do it via motherboard (VROC for example) direct to CPU, chipset / LSI RAIDing, or addon card RAIDing. Hardware RAID might be faster here depending on the software overhead, where it's happening. Because you can also software RAID on several parts of the motherboard and on an addon card too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.