Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im reading that raid 0 has the highest performance for hard drives,right? Im looking to upgrad my hard drives soon because i am running out of space, fast! so i was thinking i could set up a raid 0 system,but i know nothing about this stuff... so what do i have to do to set up a raid system

·
Registered
897 Posts
You should read up on RAID before switching to it. Just google RAID and you'll get plenty of articles. Also, something you should know, is in RAID 0, if one drive goes bad, all of them fail. RAID 1 will "mirror" your drives, meaning when one drive is the exact copy of another, so you always have a backup drive. If you are just looking for more space, just add another drive without using RAID, unless you want performance gain in things that run off the hard drive or need a mirror drive.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im looking for more space as well as more performance...i already have 2 hard drives and they are 20 gig each and i would like to just switch to 2 80 gig hds in raid 0, but what do i ahve to do to install it?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't use RAID personally, so I may not be entirely correct, but if you want maximum performance, you'll need a RAID controller, which I believe is a PCI...again, I'm not entirely sure. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...eid=830&page=5
That page gives you a good idea about what to do. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts