Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys...I have searched the web high and low yet cant figure this one out. I have two identical sata HD (maxtor) and cannot get raid to work on my damn computer. I will copy the files to floppy...f6...install both files...format (complete not quick) windows will install but whenever it gets past the boot screen it just restarts and will do the same thing over and over. I have tried everything I could find and still no luck. what do you guys think it is? I know this topic has been discussed on here but I did all of the right things I thought and this is really beginning to drive me nuts. thanks for your help in advance.

Nate

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
I red/hear/seen that the nForce 4 chipset is not that great for RAID, just like in some cases the USB2.0 ports won't work properly either. But have you tried installing the RAID drivers as well? Not the F6 file drivers for the RAID set-up but the "drivers"? Maybe you need to do that but "after" installing the chipset drivers.

·
Registered
662 Posts
does the windows install restart? or the entire computer?

if it's the install then it has to do with bios settings and a cntrl-j cntrl-s or something you need to hit at startup...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasgul

I red/hear/seen that the nForce 4 chipset is not that great for RAID, just like in some cases the USB2.0 ports won't work properly either. But have you tried installing the RAID drivers as well? Not the F6 file drivers for the RAID set-up but the "drivers"? Maybe you need to do that but "after" installing the chipset drivers.

In order to put my OS on RAID 0 as well though I have to get the f6 drivers on first. I can only install chipset drivers once in windows? So unless I am misunderstanding or missed something I cannot install mobo drivers until I am in the OS that it will not boot into

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by forcemasteryoda

does the windows install restart? or the entire computer?

if it's the install then it has to do with bios settings and a cntrl-j cntrl-s or something you need to hit at startup...

The windows install will go all the way through and finish but once it tries to boot from that point on it just continuously reboots after it hits the windows xp loading screen

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, i seem to have all bios settings enabled correctly because the RAID is enabled for sata ports on my mobo, I hit f10 to check the array and it is healthy and i have it set to boot...but something isnt right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

This can happen when one of the HDD'S firmwire is different from the other and can stop you from having a good RAID array. Make sure that both drives have the same firmwire.

How do i check this? I purchased both hard drives at same time. they are both maxtor sata 100gb drives from Best Buy. Would i be able to tell from the labeling on the HD?

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanW81

How do i check this? I purchased both hard drives at same time. they are both maxtor sata 100gb drives from Best Buy. Would i be able to tell from the labeling on the HD?

Somtimes it is displayed on the lables. However if you could get into windows with both you can check under properties. If all fails i would just install a normal copy of windows and check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts