Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a new harddrive for another computer in my house and currently in my big comp I am on I have a 320gb hd and a 250gb hd and I use the 320 as a primary and the 250 for games and etc. I was debating on trying a RAID setup out and I have never done one before and I was looking into maybe setting one up today. My current harddrive is this and I was wondering if I got this if I could make them work well together and have a good performance increase. They are different brands but the same cache and rpm and size so I assume they would work together? also what RAID should I set it up as? RAID 0 or RAID 1? which will yield the best performance? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
RAID 0 will yeild the best performance. Those hard drives should work ok together, although the seagate is faster. You can also RAID the two hard drives you have now, although you will loose 70gb of space. You need to make sure you motherboard has a RAID controller before attempting this. Do a lot of research, there is a lot of technical work involved in setting up a RAID stripes configuration.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
It will be faster, but the difference will only be really felt with large data transfers and such. You will load programs and you OS faster then before, but you double the chance of hard drive failure (because if one goes, all your data is lost). WD is very reliable though, I would do it, just back up important data on your 250gb and make regular copies of you OS.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright so I managed to get the EXACT same hardrive brand new (CRAZY!!! they were discontinued forever ago but this little shop had it.) anyways 320gb 7200RPM 16mb buffer on each one. I back all my important data on my 500gb external (documents and such) so I don't really mind if it fails. also what should the "stripe" size be for my setup? and will it help at all with loading games and such?

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by P1MP1NJ
View Post

alright so I managed to get the EXACT same hardrive brand new (CRAZY!!! they were discontinued forever ago but this little shop had it.) anyways 320gb 7200RPM 16mb buffer on each one. I back all my important data on my 500gb external (documents and such) so I don't really mind if it fails. also what should the "stripe" size be for my setup? and will it help at all with loading games and such?

With the ICH9R, I've tried every stripe size and found the 128k to be the best.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. awesome! such a fast response. Thanks, also is there anything special I need to do to install vista or are the RAID drivers integrated because I know for XP you have to slipstream them. And also will I be able to use all 640gb or 320gb total?

·
Registered
862 Posts
640 the data is written split between the two. and during installation you still need raid drivers..but its not only floppy like XP it can be anything usb flash drive, dvd, cd etc.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet should be awesome I have to go finish building my dads computer and redo his network and then I can finish building my server and raid my computer
. I hope I see a big difference but won't really mind if I don't. The hard drive is the only thing I don't get a perfect score on in vista (5.8) I know it doesn't really matter much but everything else I have is pretty decent. Also nice setup maddux.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by P1MP1NJ View Post
Ok. awesome! such a fast response. Thanks, also is there anything special I need to do to install vista or are the RAID drivers integrated because I know for XP you have to slipstream them. And also will I be able to use all 640gb or 320gb total?
Here are the 32 and 64 bit RAID drivers I unpacked from the Floppy F6 disk creator. I basically created the floppy and copied the files. With Vista, you can just put them on a USB drive or CD and "Load Drivers" during the OS installation (prior to selecting the HDD to install the OS on, there will be a option to load drivers).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got everything all set up last night and it wokrs great its really fast! also the DFI sata drivers wouldn't work but the drivers you linked me to worked great! is there any programs I should run for speed tests and such so that I can report back to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts