Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry I didnt know where to post this so I chose this one. Sorry if this isn't the right location for this :/ But any way I have the ASUS M4N82 motherboard and I supports RAID 0/0+1/5. Now my question is the following: do I need a RAID driver for windows xp to use the RAID (im planning on using RAID 0) or can I simply setup the RAID in my motherboard's BIOS?

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Should have put this in the Hardware section.

To answer your question though, maybe.

I don't know about Asus, but on my Gigaboard I was able to use a work around to set up a RAID. Then I learned how to set up a RAID on an existing Vista installation. This info is in my sig. I don't know if it will work for XP or not, but it might be a place to start.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright sorry about that. I was planning on reformatting anyway and getting rid of my old hard drive. and then installing my two new hard drives. Just adding that information in there in case I'd have to do something different.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
If you are going to be doing a clean XP install, first download the correct Intel Storage Matrix drivers for it so that you have them on hand.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the Intel Storage Matrix drivers? Im new to RAID. and I have AMD. Not sure if you are talking about Intel processors or something different

·
Registered
859 Posts
With XP, you typically need the RAID drivers on a floppy (potential workarounds aside). Feed it the disk when it asks during XP installation.

Edit: Your mobo disk probably has the RAID drivers on it which usually are called "intel matrix storage driver for ICH8R/9R/10R" or something like that... or D/L them like mentioned from your mobo mfg site.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
With XP Pro, you will have to put the RAID drivers onto a floppy. When XP was written, the engineers only allowed additional drivers to be added during initial install via a floppy. It is a PITA since many dont have floppys any more. There is only one workaround, and that is to slipstream the drivers into the install disk. This consists of using a program like NVLite to creat a folder on your HDD to relocate the installation disk folders, add the RAID drivers, then re-create the new install disk by burning it to a CD.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How...P-installation

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MClouse
View Post

What is the Intel Storage Matrix drivers? Im new to RAID. and I have AMD. Not sure if you are talking about Intel processors or something different

Go to Biostar's website and download the RAID drivers. Since you have XP, you will need to load the drivers during the installation process. There are two ways:
1) Load the drives on a floppy. Hit F6 during the install and load the drivers.
2) Create a XP Slipstream disk. Download and install nLite (www.nliteos.com). Use it to "Integrate Drivers" and burn an .iso. Use this disk to install OS.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Here we are all again leap frogging eachother's posts. Each of us is essentially typing the same info, then posting within seconds of eachother. Its nice to see OCN showing so much knowledge of hardware!

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MClouse
View Post

oops, sorry. Redact anything I have said, then. I know naught of AMD.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so I still need to get some kind of xp driver for RAID even though my mobo has a built in RAID thing?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I setup my RAID in my motherboard BIOS and when I tried to install windows it didn't recognize anything...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Once RAID is activated in BIOS, restart. You should be seeing a post screen that says something like hold control + I to access RAID. This is the utility you need to build your raid array. You need to tell it which drives are part of the RAID, what type of RAID you want (raid 0, raid 5, etc.) and what stripe size you want if choosing RAID 0. (128k is fine)

Do this and then install windows in the manner previously discussed.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just curious, does vista have a built in RAID driver so that I wouldnt have to use a floppy drive or the nlite thing? 1: my motherboard doesnt support floppy drives so im out of luck there. 2: I dont understand how to get those drivers built into my installation disc. So i figured if vista doesnt require those things I could just get vista and save myself the trouble.
Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you get the full version of 7 right now? I may try to get that or is it still just the RC

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MClouse View Post
just curious, does vista have a built in RAID driver so that I wouldnt have to use a floppy drive or the nlite thing? 1: my motherboard doesnt support floppy drives so im out of luck there. 2: I dont understand how to get those drivers built into my installation disc. So i figured if vista doesnt require those things I could just get vista and save myself the trouble.
Thanks
Yes Vista has the RAID drivers included. But the nice thing about Vista is that you can add drivers during initial install by a USB drive or a CD disk. So you can use specific drivers instead of generic ones.
Just remember with XP, the RAID install issue, and the need for a floppy isnt because of the hardware, it is because the OS doesnt have the drivers.

You can get the Windows 7 RTM build 7100 from M$ here (will need to sign into your M$ account):

https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperi...s/default.aspx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts