Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two SSD's 64GBx2 and one 320GB HD. Is there a RAID configuration that will allow me to run the SSD's in a RAID0 type configuration for speed and then have the 3rd disc for mirroring i.e. full back up of the striped drives or did I just invent a new array?

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
You'll have to manually backup your ssd raid 0 array

If you had 3 same sized hd's you could use raid 5 or 1+0

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1;12027146
If you had 3 same sized hd's you could use raid 5 or 1+0
Ideally you need an even number of drives >2 to run RAID 1+0..

I would not make a mixed array with SSD's and HDD's since you will always be waiting on the HDD, therefore will have absolutely no gain by having SSD's.

You could always just drag whatever files you want to your other drive at certain intervals..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Raid 0 the SSDs and use software to backup the drives. Just do full image backups, Windows 7 has a built in program for doing such simply. Or you could just backup data instead of the whole OS, but a RAID setup would keep the OS so if you wanted that then you'd do images of your SSDs assuming they are running the OS in this situation.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
i run raid 0 and manually copy the data I want to save onto the backup drive.

·
Registered
663 Posts
while its possible to make a 2 drive raid0 and mirror that to a 3rd single drive. It would likely be constrained by the speed of the single slow drive... making your raid0 useless

I would take the 3rd drive, make two partitions: 1 for nightly backup, one for VSS running hourly for the C: drive.

Then if the raid0 dies: fix it, stick in a windows installer and click restore. then you have only lost an hours data.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoblikat
View Post

actually wouldnt it be 0 + 1?

actually to use 3 drives it would have to be raid 1e

1 - 8 of 8 Posts