Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am pretty new to raid setups, and performance of doing it.
My current setup is 1 80 gig ssd, and one WD 1T black. I am using the SSD for os and a few other programs. I am interested in getting one more of the WD blacks. What are the things I should know about this before I try it out. Ty you

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM231 View Post
Hello I am pretty new to raid setups, and performance of doing it.
My current setup is 1 80 gig ssd, and one WD 1T black. I am using the SSD for os and a few other programs. I am interested in getting one more of the WD blacks. What are the things I should know about this before I try it out. Ty you
You may or may not run into RAID issues with WD Black drives specifically. Just search around for WD-TLER on Google, or even here on OCN to read up on it.

If you're going for performance, two (or more) drives in RAID-0 will increase your sequential operations, but not your access times. So if you're working with large files, then you could see an improvement.

I'm personally not so keen on running 2x1TB drives in RAID-0. That's a lot of data to potentially lose. You could also short-stroke to improve access times, but that's up to you.

Instead of re-hashing information that's been posted a bazillion times, start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

1 - 2 of 2 Posts