Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 500 GB Desktop Hard Drives which I am planning to RAID, but they are of different brands. One is a Western Digital and the other is a Seagate. They both have 32 MB cache and are both 7200 RPM.

Now, I am planning to put this on my server which is running 24/7 and is my data server as well. Right now, the data is running off one hard drive (The Western Digital One).

Now, will these two hard drives work in a RAID 1 array or will I have problems? How will performance be just for a file server?

Those are the only two hard drives I have right now and I don't want to waste extra on another hard drive, unless I can trade one in, which I have no idea how to do on the internet.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Welcome to OCN! You should put your country in your User CP because sometimes answers can be country-specific.

In theory you can do this; the RAID array will be limited to the smaller of the two drives. (One WILL be smaller.)

·
Registered
282 Posts
They will work. The only issue is with seek times and read/write times. As they mostly differ between drives, the fastest drive will be forced to wait for the slower drive to pull its bit off.

You shouldn't have any issues at all with using it though.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
In raid 1 they will work just fine in raid0 it might have a little performance hit from different seek times. But to answer your Question yes it will work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts