Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
This is my sitation. I have 3 hard drives total. The 1st one, is one that has the os on it. I want to leave that one alone. How can i set up the other two drives (blank) as a raid zero (0) using software? I am running MS XP Home, and there is no money in the budget for a RAID controller. What software can i use, and i am aware that performance will be slower than with a hardware raid.
Thanks,
Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

your not going to benifit from installing applications on the disk that is not in the raid setup...

use the spare disk as pure storage...
and install your OS and games on the raid setup


this is the best way

Yeha, but how can i set up the raid in WinXP Home?
I also have an Intel 865 Chipset, and 82865G/P/PE or 82848P, I have a 8201EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R), SATA and PATA enabled.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
I presume your hard drives are SATA? If so, heres what you do. Unfortunately, you have to reinstall Windows. Attach the two hard drives you want to raid on the SATA ports. You don't have to mess with the jumpers. Then start the comp. As soon as you press the power button, start pressing {Control + I} I believe those are the correct buttons. If not, check your owners manual. Anyway, that will take you to your raid setup screen. Build the raid drive, I like 16mb stripe size, seems to work best for me. Exit and reboot. Then insert your Windows CD and start the Windows setup. WATCH CLOSELY!!!-you will see a message at the very bottom of the screen that says: "If you want to install third party raid drivers press F6. This message appears right at the very start of the Windows setup, so keep an eye out. Make sure to press F6 about 15 times to make sure it loads the proper files. It will ask you to insert the Manufacturers supplies disk in the floppy drive. Go ahead and do so. This will load the raid drivers for Windows. Then the rest is just the normal Windows setup. Good luck and post if you have anymore questions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lando95

I presume your hard drives are SATA? If so, heres what you do. Unfortunately, you have to reinstall Windows. Attach the two hard drives you want to raid on the SATA ports. You don't have to mess with the jumpers. Then start the comp. As soon as you press the power button, start pressing {Control + I} I believe those are the correct buttons. If not, check your owners manual. Anyway, that will take you to your raid setup screen. Build the raid drive, I like 16mb stripe size, seems to work best for me. Exit and reboot. Then insert your Windows CD and start the Windows setup. WATCH CLOSELY!!!-you will see a message at the very bottom of the screen that says: "If you want to install third party raid drivers press F6. This message appears right at the very start of the Windows setup, so keep an eye out. Make sure to press F6 about 15 times to make sure it loads the proper files. It will ask you to insert the Manufacturers supplies disk in the floppy drive. Go ahead and do so. This will load the raid drivers for Windows. Then the rest is just the normal Windows setup. Good luck and post if you have anymore questions


Umm, my drives are IDE, and i dont have a RAID controller. I was referring mainly to software RAID programs, which i cant seem to find any.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pb3400

Umm, my drives are IDE, and i dont have a RAID controller. I was referring mainly to software RAID programs, which i cant seem to find any.

That's because there isn't much for software raid available, if any. You stated that your mobo has the ICH5R. If so, then you do have raid on the SATA channels. You can buy two IDE to SATA adapters and connect them to the Intel controller, then do the steps I stated above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
You can do a software RAID in XP Pro with a simple edit of some hex code. But XP Home is diffrent. But, I know that their are some cheap RAID controllers avaible for around $40 out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by zother

You can do a software RAID in XP Pro with a simple edit of some hex code. But XP Home is diffrent. But, I know that their are some cheap RAID controllers avaible for around $40 out there.

Yeah, i think i might be able to get a copy of Pro, what exactly is the edit? I also know that the RAID stuff is under disk mamagement, and i think its called dynamic drives. -- Oh yeah, its just raid 0 that i want !
Thanks, jon :shades2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pb3400

Yeah, i think i might be able to get a copy of Pro, what exactly is the edit? I also know that the RAID stuff is under disk mamagement, and i think its called dynamic drives. -- Oh yeah, its just raid 0 that i want !
Thanks, jon :shades2:

back-up everything before you start.

These are hex edits before you do RAID. You might need a hex editor.
C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\dmboot.sys
Before:
0000f1f0h: 74 00 54 00 79 00 70 00 65 00 00 00 57 49 4E 4E ; t.T.y.p.e...WINN
0000f200h: 54 00 00 00 53 45 52 56 45 52 4E 54 00 00 00 00 ; T...SERVERNT....
After:
0000f1f0h: 74 00 54 00 79 00 70 00 65 00 00 00 53 45 52 56 ; t.T.y.p.e...SERV
0000f200h: 45 52 4E 54 57 49 4E 4E 54 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ; ERNTWINNT.......

C:\\windows\\system32\\dmconfig.dll
Before
00005140h: 4C 41 4E 4D 41 4E 4E 54 00 00 00 00 53 45 52 56 ; LANMANNT....SERV
00005150h: 45 52 4E 54 00 00 00 00 57 49 4E 4E 54 00 00 00 ; ERNT....WINNT...
After
00005140h: 4C 41 4E 4D 41 4E 4E 54 00 00 00 00 57 49 4E 4E ; LANMANNT....WINN
00005150h: 54 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 53 45 52 56 45 52 4E 54 ; T.......SERVERNT

C:\\windows\\system32\\Dmadmin.exe
Before
00001c30h: 73 65 72 76 65 72 6E 74 00 00 00 00 6C 61 6E 6D ; servernt....lanm
00001c40h: 61 6E 6E 74 00 00 00 00 50 72 6F 64 75 63 74 54 ; annt....ProductT
After
00001c30h: 77 69 6E 6E 74 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 6C 61 6E 6D ; winnt.......lanm
00001c40h: 61 6E 6E 74 00 00 00 00 50 72 6F 64 75 63 74 54 ; annt....ProductT

Next copy these files to a floppy.
Boot machine with Win XP Pro disk and go into the recovery console. Replace the files that are on the system with the modified files form the floppy.
Here are the commands if you need them:
copy a:\\dmboot.sys system32\\drivers
copy a:\\dmboot.sys system32\\dllcache
copy a:\\dmconfig.dll system32
copy a:\\dmconfig.dll system32\\dllcache
copy a:\\dmadmin.exe system32
copy a:\\dmadmin.exe system32\\dllcache

Then restart windows normaly and go in to the disk manager and right click on any of the drives and go into the "New Volume Wizard".

From here it is all self explanatory escially since you have exprience with RAID.

I can post further steps if you need them. Just ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by nayo_450

OR there is this!

That woud've been realy nice, but no XP Pro, yet.....
"Local access to dynamic volumes (and to the data that the dynamic volumes contain) is limited to Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP Professional-based computers. You cannot create dynamic volumes on (or access dynamic volumes from) a Windows XP Professional-based computer that has one or more of the following operating systems running"
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top