Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've spiralled down into RAID madness. Anyway ...

I have 2xWD Caviar Black 640GB.

I am experimenting with an idea which involves setting up two volumes in a RAID0 array. One volume is intended for the OS (250GB) and the second for scratch space (for photo and video editing). I did this completely in the BIOS (with the Intel raid controller). I have a couple of questions about this.

1) Should I really be doing this? In other words, by creating two volumes (which looks like two physical hard disks to the windows installer and OS), am I removing any benefit in terms of performance from RAID0
2) If it makes sense to partition is this the way to do it? or should I have done a sigle 1.1TB RAID0 volume and then did the re-partitioning in Windows (in this case the windows disk manager utility would actually see this volume as a single physical disk and would know that it is partitiioned into two logical disks)
3) If I wanted to just short-stroke outside of windows, is there some boot disc I can download to do this? Is http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ reputable for example?

Thanks

Why am I doing this?

I am trying to have my cake and eat it too. I want to use the two WDs in RAID0, but I dont want to use them for a data drive, but at the same time, I dont want 1.1TB for the OS and apps. If I left it as 1 logical partition and put all my scratch stuff on this partition, then my imaging backup SW would pick this up and I dont want it to (hence the logical partition).

I am tempted just to do the install on 1 disk at this point and forget about any RAID0 performance increases (maybe even short stroke it)

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
that's the way I do it...I have a 40GB volume just for the OS, the other is for games and stuff

this lets me benchmark the short-stroke separately, because I can't get it to test just that in HD Tune, it does the whole volume, which defeats the point

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
I'd probably just run with creating multiple virtual disks in the Intel controller BIOS.

I'm sure there's *somebody* on OCN that's posted HDTune benchmarks of 2x WD640GB Blacks in massive RAID-0 that you can compare against.

From a practical point of view - I have to wonder if you're *really* going to notice any performance differences between the two configurations... practically speaking. It's highly subjective, of course. Everybody that's a fan of short-stroking is going to swear by it, of course

Me personally.... Well, I swear by RAID-10, lol

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Hi

This is from two WD640GB Caviar Blacks, short stroked to 256GB when building the Array

And I think it proves that, I must be using both platters

Which is something I was wondering about when doing the array!

Non-raid

Raid0

Non-raid

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. In the end I lamed out a bit. I ended dropping the RAID and just setting up the following config:

WD0 : Two partitions: 320GB for OS and 320GB for Scratch/dowloads
WD1 : Data drive

I will go with this until 160GB SSD prices come down. Once that happens, I'll move the OS to the SSD and I'll probably RAID1 the data drive.

Not sure why but my system is definitely snappier (and much quieter) than when I had W7 installed on my raptor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts