Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you should guess, how future proof do you think the Raijintek morpheus is? I am considering it for my next card together with 2x Noctua NF-A12x25, this card may have GDDR6 or HBM and I am a bit in doubt if the die + HBM will be too big and therefore not really work.

So do you think the design is pretty future proof ? I dont want this cooler to only last 1 GPU, then its not worth it compared to just buying a highend card, allthough the Noctua fans will still perform better

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hi there

I would guess Raijintek Morpheus should be OK there for next generation of GPU or maybe they will release udated version but this depends on more factors

Have look Vega 56 or 64 do have larger die than any consumer Nvidia GPU(I think only TitanV have bigger die) and this cooler is still more than enough for cooling such cards

Have used this cooler on EVGA GTX1080Ti and temperatures has been under 50's with fans spinning at 900-1000RPM most of the time

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
As been said, it doesn't have any issues with HBM.

But the only issue could be if AMD and/or Nvidia make drastic changes to the mounting holes, but I doubt they will.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Morpheus is one of the few GPU coolers still available.
Forward comparability depends on what the mount spacing is more than size of Morpheus base. Base is much bigger than GPU die/chip, so forward compatibility has more to do with user having the skills needed to mod the mount to fit different mounting holes than if it will work as intended.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm really hoping mine will fit the upcoming 1180's. I wish the GPU partners would come out with a "add your own fans to this giant heatsink" option.

Maybe if someone like noctua made one, it would get more attention since they have such name recognition for good cooling, despite other great options.

I really wish this site would add the view all image option in the top right corner again. That made it so quick to find examples of the morpheous being used in a case when I found out about them. Instead of going page after page looking for an example. Will that feature ever be added back ?

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
I wish the GPU partners would come out with a "add your own fans to this giant heatsink" option.
This, or if they would just sell cards without a heatsink.

As it is now, there's hardly a market for aftermarket GPU heatsinks, if there was you could be sure the bigger players would be all over it.

It never made sense to me that the overclocking focused GPU's come with expensive yet mediocre performing heatsinks on them, when realistically if you want to get the most out of them without bursting your eardrums, you need an aftermarket heatsink/waterblock.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Proper vrm cooling would be an issue.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Proper vrm cooling would be an issue.
Sure if you run it without any kind of heatsinking on the vrm it might be an issue. But why would you do that?

Many gpu's can just fit an aftermarket cooler with the stock vrm heat spreader left in place, and for the ones that can't there are plenty of aftermarket vrm heatsink options.

Not to mention the Morpheus already comes with a pretty extensive selection of heatsinks for vrm/vram.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Sure if you run it without any kind of heatsinking on the vrm it might be an issue. But why would you do that?

Many gpu's can just fit an aftermarket cooler with the stock vrm heat spreader left in place, and for the ones that can't there are plenty of aftermarket vrm heatsink options.

Not to mention the Morpheus already comes with a pretty extensive selection of heatsinks for vrm/vram.

Yeah, but not all cards have independent vrm cooling with their stock cooling. Some have full coverage blocks, in which case you have to resort to the small heatsinks that come with these heatsinks. To be honest these things are not that adequate for hot running cards. I'm using those type of aluminum heatsinks on the vrms of my RX 480 Nitro and they do cool, but the vrm now runs a good 20C above what the stock block was doing. Only way I have managed to circumvent that problem is with a high rpm fan with a high sp rating, which kind of ruins the whole "almost silent" setup I was going for. I have experienced no problems with the vrm hitting 90C under full gaming load (with a pair of Cougar fans), so I guess you can argue this is "sufficient".
Been looking for good aftermarket solutions for vrm cooling but they would involve gluing them to the card, which I'm not keen on doing right now.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yeah, but not all cards have independent vrm cooling with their stock cooling. Some have full coverage blocks, in which case you have to resort to the small heatsinks that come with these heatsinks. To be honest these things are not that adequate for hot running cards. I'm using those type of aluminum heatsinks on the vrms of my RX 480 Nitro and they do cool, but the vrm now runs a good 20C above what the stock block was doing. Only way I have managed to circumvent that problem is with a high rpm fan with a high sp rating, which kind of ruins the whole "almost silent" setup I was going for. I have experienced no problems with the vrm hitting 90C under full gaming load (with a pair of Cougar fans), so I guess you can argue this is "sufficient".
Been looking for good aftermarket solutions for vrm cooling but they would involve gluing them to the card, which I'm not keen on doing right now.
Hi there

I have run Raijintek Morpheus II cooler like on my Titan X SC with 1469MHz OC and EVGA GTX1080Ti with 2050MHz and temperatures has been pretty much similar in 42-45°C(on Ti highest temperatures I have seen 47-48°C in higher ambient temperature )with fans spinning at 1000-1200RPM

VRM temperatures I could only check on EVGA GTX 1080Ti and temperatures has been in mid to high 50's and in higher ambient seen 62-65°C as max, I didn't used Raijintek supplied VRM heatsinks but I used copper ones, not sure if this makes any difference

Friend is running same cooler Raijintek Morpheus II cooler on his Vega 56 and his temperatures are in high 40's and maximum what I have seen 53°C in gaming etc, GPU hotspot or how is called, temperatures there we are seen there mid 70's

What case do you have?

I have run my Raijintek Morpheus II cooler with NH-D15 in Enthoo Primo only and friend have this case as well

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Hi there

I have run Raijintek Morpheus II cooler like on my Titan X SC with 1469MHz OC and EVGA GTX1080Ti with 2050MHz and temperatures has been pretty much similar in 42-45°C(on Ti highest temperatures I have seen 47-48°C in higher ambient temperature )with fans spinning at 1000-1200RPM

VRM temperatures I could only check on EVGA GTX 1080Ti and temperatures has been in mid to high 50's and in higher ambient seen 62-65°C as max, I didn't used Raijintek supplied VRM heatsinks but I used copper ones, not sure if this makes any difference

Friend is running same cooler Raijintek Morpheus II cooler on his Vega 56 and his temperatures are in high 40's and maximum what I have seen 53°C in gaming etc, GPU hotspot or how is called, temperatures there we are seen there mid 70's

What case do you have?

I have run my Raijintek Morpheus II cooler with NH-D15 in Enthoo Primo only and friend have this case as well

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Case is an Enthoo Pro. The Morpheus has two Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm fans. Have a PH-F140MP running right below the video card synced with the card's vrm temps as intake. Maybe the vrm on the Polaris runs much hotter by default, or maybe it's due to my high room temperatures (30C). I have had no issues running the card that way. Plan to put some cooper heatsinks latter on and see if that helps a bit. Core temps never break 65C, which is a huge improvement over stock (not to mention near silent operation at full load).

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
The low noise at full load is biggest reason to me to use aftermarket GPU coolers .. or to change stock cooler fans to square 25mm thick fans. Have done that many times.

Here is one of mine using Arctic F9 fans:

Here is link to one Archer13 did:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/23629539-post1.html

Here is link to another
https://imgur.com/gallery/JWoDu

Here's an EVGA ACX cooler (GTX 780 / GTX Titan variant) with 2x Arctic F9 PWM fans and a GELID 4-pin GPU PWM adapter plugged into GPU fan header.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Is ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING compatible with thas cooler? If so, it'd be perfect, because such graphics card has two standard fan headers allowing mirroing the fan curve of the stock fans with, including, fan stop.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Is ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING compatible with thas cooler? If so, it'd be perfect, because such graphics card has two standard fan headers allowing mirroing the fan curve of the stock fans with, including, fan stop.
It is, a user on here has one. Good luck finding the pictures since you have to hunt for them page by page now. It was in the fractal design thread and I think the noctua thread where he posted his rig. Its the morpheus 2 though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It is, a user on here has one. Good luck finding the pictures since you have to hunt for them page by page now. It was in the fractal design thread and I think the noctua thread where he posted his rig. Its the morpheus 2 though.
Thank you.

Are you sure it is exactly the same model I refer to (the Strix GTX 1080 Ti)?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts