Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the pretty basic question, I've just added on RAM of differing types before and want to make sure I understand any issues adding on might bring.

My current RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX

Quote:

Capacity | 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed | DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency | 4
Timing | 4-4-4-12
Voltage | 2.1V

with DHX Technology

The RAM I want to add to my system: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

Quote:

Capacity | 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed | DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency | 5
Timing | 5-5-5-18
Voltage | 1.9V

Lower Voltage, higher latency, slower timing, and no DHX (whatever that is) on the new set. This would for the setup listed in my Sig. I just got Win 7 upgrade and am getting ready to try XP mode to keep an old 32 bit USB tuner in the mix. I need some more memory to handle the load. I generally do a light overclock of my 7750 to 3ghz by upping the multiplier alone, using stock voltage. I haven't made any changes to RAM speeds specifically, or anything else in the past.

Will it work for me? What are the downsides to using RAM with those differences in specs, if any? Would I be better off selling my current RAM and replacing it with 4GB of perfectly matching sticks, even if they're not quite as nice as the XMS2's I have now?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Dhx is corsairs patanted dual heat xchange design that allows more effecient heat transfer from the ram to the heat spreaders. As for compatability, youll find they match the worst stick in the kit, so all sticks will run at 5-5-5-18 800mhz 1.65v. No problems with that btw

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Mixing timings & voltages... not too good an idea unless, say, you know exact ICs are same

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;13006280
Mixing timings & voltages... not too good an idea unless, say, you know exact ICs are same
What's the fallout if the ICs aren't the same? Is Kal incorrect, or is there just more to it than that?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
naw you dont needa worry about it, i have 3 comps that ive built for servers and storage and they have mixed ram, some is 533mhz, some is 800mhz, some are 5-5-5-18 and some are 6-6-6-20, they have all been running for over 3 years each and i have not had a single issue with them.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Runnings mixed timings isn't the best idea.. Used to run a pair of the exact same sticks as you. Then i bought a pair of 2x2gb xms2's, but not with the same timings as the 2x1 sticks. The system was running fine but one pair of sticks got really hot.. very actually.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Nick, why do you believe the heat was caused by mixed timings?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
different ICs will put out more heat then others at certain voltages. Only thing is it might not boot because of them being diffferent ram, and can also hinder your overclock to the weakest set of ram also. But with them being from the same company and product line I would have to say its probably fine. The set you wanna buy could be the same IC but just specd differently with a different SPD stable.

And if you dont lose to much selling them off it could be better for you as you might beable to reach a higher oc as there would be less stress on the memory controller, but larger ram sticks usually dont overclock as well as smaller ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts