Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

So recently while I have been playing crysis, I have been getting quite a bit of hiccuping. I play on max settings, 1440x900, 2xAA. This yields about 40 fps on average, with low 30's during the most intense action. The problem I am having is that after a good bit of gaming, I get some very serious hiccuping, and massive stuttering of the game.

I monitor my CPU and GPU temps and they are both no more than 40*c so I am almost positive they are not the cause. I am now almost positive my memory is to blame. I have my OCZ memory overclock to 900mhz from 800, with some slightly tighter timings (5-5-5-18 T2 is stock, I run at 5-4-4-15 T2)

I have not yet measured the temps while gaming, but since I am over volting them, while folding they reach the very high 30's and low 40's and thats just the heatspreader temps. I am guessing they are running in the 50's or so tops. My case has good airflow, but I am looking to keep the memory very cool without having to clock them back down.

My question is this- How does the corsair dominator fan do for ram cooling? I dont want the OCZ one most likely, because bright blue LED's kinda arent my thing.

Also- how noisy is it?

Thanks for all the help and + rep to anyone who can lead me in the right direction here!

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
You would do better to just ziptie/slap a proper 120mm onto the RAM sticks instead of wasting money on gimmicky RAM coolers.

That being said, I doubt the RAM is the issue. Something else is happening. A driver conflict perhaps. I remember Logitech Setpoint would go to 99% CPU usage after gaming for about 2 minutes, dropping my FPS massively. You might have a similar problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you sure your overclock is 100% stabel? Like Afrodisiac said it could be something else. Anyways to answer your question the Corsair Dominator fan cools pretty good but I found it to be a little loud and usually it's not needed.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
What kind of voltage are you using? More then 2.15v is rather useless for those sticks and at 2.15v it's absolutely not needed to install a ram cooler. They can easily handle 80 - 90c.

The hiccups are definitely caused by something else, for example other programs running in the background.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are running at 2.11v. I am fairly positive my OC is stable, last time I ran Prime, it ran for 26 hours with zero problems, and half of that I was folding at the same time as prime (accidental). I just did a few driver updates, hopefully that was the issue. Will report back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts