Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in adding RAM air cooling fans to my existing RAM.

The RAM I am using is: G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

After a Google search, "RAM Cooler", I got results of RAM cooler by Corsair, OCZ, Arctic, and G.Skill.

My question is, are there RAM air cooling fans that are universal to fit most DDR2 RAM sticks, or does the RAM, model specific, have to be compatible with specific coolers? (Hopefully I stated the question well)

Example: Will this G.Skill cooler fit for my RAM? If not, are there any RAM coolers that will fit for my RAM?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Unless you've got unusually-shaped or extra tall heatsinks on your RAM, you're fine with any general RAM cooler.

Your sticks in particular are pretty standard, so you're fine there. As for the cooler, the product page states:

Quote:

"Single-fan G.Skill Turbulence Fan for cooling of all types of memory modules and memory kits in desktop systems."

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man
View Post

Unless you've got unusually-shaped or extra tall heatsinks on your RAM, you're fine with any general RAM cooler.

Your sticks in particular are pretty standard, so you're fine there. As for the cooler, the product page states:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was concerned by the text written by the website because sometimes the descriptions can be misleading. Also, I noticed with some of the other coolers they mention how they fit perfectly with the heat-sinks on the RAM sticks, so I wasn't sure if that should be a concern as well.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by clee413 View Post
I am interested in adding RAM air cooling fans to my existing RAM.

My question is, are there RAM air cooling fans that are universal to fit most DDR2 RAM sticks, or does the RAM, model specific, have to be compatible with specific coolers? (Hopefully I stated the question well)
As mentioned, unless you have some wild heat sinks on your DDR2, anything should work - at least as far as the ram goes. You might want to measure your board for any obstruction, particularly you first PCIe x16 slot.

For example, look at the OCZ cooler, see how the screw sticks out quite a bit? Had to stop using it in mine until I replaced that screw b/c it hit my video card.

There are often ways around any obstructions, but RAM fans can need a bit of modification depending.

Good luck!

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Just to let you know, I don't think your ram would be able to oc high enough to need extra cooling, but that cooler would definitely fit. I think it latches onto the "clips" that hold the ram in the slot. So as long as you don't have a pair of these, you'll be fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts