Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am new to these fourms.

Any ways.... i have a intel p4 2.4b. I recently began overclocking and was able to hold it stable at 2.6ghz. Everything ran well and i noticed a large diffrence in HL 2 and all my source engine games, however since i overclocked i have been getting "Program can not read memory etc etc" about 20 min in on all of my source engine games. The only actual game i need it for is HL 2 becaues the physics calculations are very hard on my proccessor and cause about half a sec of lag before each physic interaction. Since i overclocked this has been no problem and the game runs far better excerpt for (as i said) the memory error. All my other programs and games run fine. I just wanted to know if there are anyways to get around this. I was not surpiresed when this happedend becaues i know a fair bit about overclocking and how it causes problems sometime but just wanted to know if there was anyway of getting around this. I have a Intel P4 2.4b, 512mb DDR 266 ram, 9800pro, a Albatron PM266A PRO, sufficent cooling and a 350w power supply.

Any help provided would be much appricated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Welcome!! Have you tried upping the vDIMM?? You might need to add a little extra voltage to the DIMM's to keep it stable. This sounds like a voltage issue, since you are able to get into Windows. Also, you might want to start looking at a new PSU. 350Watts is pretty weak in this day and age, especially if you want to do any overclocking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

Welcome!! Have you tried upping the vDIMM?? You might need to add a little extra voltage to the DIMM's to keep it stable. This sounds like a voltage issue, since you are able to get into Windows. Also, you might want to start looking at a new PSU. 350Watts is pretty weak in this day and age, especially if you want to do any overclocking.

well i dont really know how to raise the voltage, is it suppoessed to be in the Bios? I must be missing a setting or somthing. On the status/monitoring tab it has tempatures, fan speeds and Vcore tand tells me what they are but i cant change them. Am i missing somthing here?

·
Banned
914 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

you need to go into advanced setting and then go "Frequencies and Voltages" or "Jumper Free Config"

well all mobos have diferent menus(i think)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes well i have a Voltage/frequence control but all it has in it is Spread spectrum, CPU frequnce and DRAM control.....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpt.Carnage
Yes well i have a Voltage/frequence control but all it has in it is Spread spectrum, CPU frequnce and DRAM control.....
Hey, change that PSU, DDR266 is not good for OC, specially if is cheap, have DDR400, go to www.tigerdirect.com and buy 512DDR Ultra, they are having a deal, DDR400 will let you overclock 533 to 800, FSB-133-200 or even more

If you are running a 2.4/533fsb you should trash that ram! not even think using it for a 2.4/800fsb

That could be your problem!!!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Under "Frequency/Voltage Control", disable spread spectrum. Under "Advanced Chipset Features", first set DRAM timing to 'manual'. Once you have access to the timing settings, change the following to the highest number available: DRAM CAS Latency, Precharge to Active, Active to Precharge and Active to CMD. Change DRAM Command Rate to 1T.

This will effectively loosen the timings, possibly giving you that little extra headroom to gain stability at your current setting (without spending any money). Some faster memory may be a good investment, but in all honesty, some PC2700 will be more than suitable for the job (PC3200 would be overkill). PC2700 would allow for you to overclock to 2.99 GHz, which is more than you would most likely be able to expect out of your system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts