Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I get a performance boost by having my RAM running faster than the FSB??

The RAM cant get information faster than the FSB is feeding... So, when I run the RAM faster than the FSB, then the FSB is only bottlenecking the RAM...
Am I right about that? Or.....how does it work?

Whats the good thing about having the RAM faster than the FSB?

Btw:
I got 2GB of Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 memory (2x1GB)
Stock: 400MHz @ 4-4-4-12 @ 1.8v
My setup: 365MHz @ 4-4-4-8 @ 2.0v (1:1)

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUXBlade View Post
Do I get a performance boost by having my RAM running faster than the FSB??

The RAM cant get information faster than the FSB is feeding... So, when I run the RAM faster than the FSB, then the FSB is only bottlenecking the RAM...
Am I right about that? Or.....how does it work?

Whats the good thing about having the RAM faster than the FSB?

Btw:
I got 2GB of Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 memory (2x1GB)
Stock: 400MHz @ 4-4-4-12 @ 1.8v
My setup: 365MHz @ 4-4-4-8 @ 2.0v (1:1)
You are correct, running the RAM faster than the FSB yields no performance gain. The RAM is limited by the speed of the FSB, so a 1:1 ratio is the best you can have.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Actually, running RAM faster than the FSB does help in synthetic benchmarks. For example when I'm running 400FSB with RAM speed 400mhz (4-4-4-8) I get ~20.8s SuperPi1M, but when I'm running 400FSB with RAM speed 500mhz (4-4-4-8) I get ~19.6s SuperPi1M, about a 1s difference.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
You won't see a major difference but I never use a 1:1, only 4:5 and now 2:3 which bring my RAM to CPU to 265:442mhz for RAM and CPU to 333:500mhz for RAM.

While I don't see a night and day difference, I see enough for me to run a higher RAM frequency than CPU's FSB.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
You are correct, running the RAM faster than the FSB yields no performance gain. The RAM is limited by the speed of the FSB, so a 1:1 ratio is the best you can have.
can you explain that to me a little better.

right now I have my ram on a 1:1 ratio as I am limited by my ram right now but my front side bus is rated at 1420Mhz while my ram is rated at 710Mhz. this is with a true FSB of 355Mhz

so if I want my ram to run the same speed as the FSB shouldn't I run my ram at a 2:1 ratio then? well that is if my ram could support that speed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.